cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premium texts from 85222

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know of the flaw in O2 pay as you go service. My account balance was deducted for receiving unsolicited text from 85222. It resulted in straight deduction of 1.5 pounds. The O2 chat support was of little help. My question is tomorrow anyone can register my number at various sites and then I will loose my charge amount because of someone sending text from that website. atleast there should have been a email consent taken if my number is registered at any site website with commercial implications. The most funny part the chat operator states the website that sent me the message is GodsKitchen. I looked at their website and there is no option for any phone registration. I am done with my O2 subscription as what is the guarantee there will not be a repeat of this. The icing on the cake is the chat operator asking me to send a STOP sms and my account again getting deducted:-(. Thought of sharing this wonderful O2 experience incase it is helpful......

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
Well they're only after one thing and it's not providing a great customer experience wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi this seems to be a con between your mobile provider and a company by the name of IMI Mobile who provides premium sms billing, who says you downloaded games from a company called Igames, but the strange thing was when i spoke to someone from O2 i got this strange message on my phone.......FREE MSG. Thank you for your STOP message. The last service from the short code requested will be stopped for your phone within one working day. who tell you to send a message to manager@helpcareline.co.uk, within minutes of sending a email asking for a refund someone from 01158270506 phones saying you entered a competition to win an ipad, wouldn't be bad if the companies involved could get their stories straight clearly a con....

Message 23 of 33

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
They are all cons and scams just after your money.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I thought the same.

I have had fraud on my bank account in the past and my building society covered the loss so on o2 chat I asked if the charges could be removed from my bill.  Of course the answer was no and in fact I was advised - like another peson on this thread - to text STOP to 85222 which would stop the messages but I questioned this because surely it would cost more!

I am very careful about putting my number on the internet, basically I don't, I always change a digit so I asked o2 how did this happen? did they get my number form o2? shall i change my number?  If I were to change my number that would work until of course the new number became known, the o2 guru said something about the service being 'active on my account'.  Which I found to be very odd wording because it does give the impression that o2 would have the control to block it as you say...

I really think Watchdog should get in on this because it is an absolute scam and who knows if our phone companies are benefitting.  I was taken for £11 but it could have been much worse and judging by the compaints here today I dread to think how much these companies are pulling in.  O2 needs to take some responsbility!

Message 25 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

you may complain to the Premium rate regulator PhonepayPlus or the firm itself

As posted previosuly this is the website of the regulator to which you can compain , note that you need the details of one or more of the text messages to fill in the form

Message 26 of 33

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

This has nothing to do with the network. You must have inadvertently clicked on a link or competition on such places as social media sites which has subscribed you to a premium service. This can only happen when such a site already has your number registered as part of your profile or information that you put in there.

Put the short code number in the site here : http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

You will find contact details for the company which you can call or email to request a refund. It has nothing at all to do with the network. Also I would forget trying to resolve this with live chat.

Message 27 of 33

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions
It's the type of facebook rubbish such as "Win £500 of Tesco vouchers" etc that gets you.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 33

Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have recently analysed my teenage daughers bill to ascertain why her SIM only contract was starting to get a charge every day of £1.25+VAT - i noticed all these were classed as 'voice calls' from number 85222 which is a text number -my daugther is exeptionally careful with her money and is taught to manage and pay her own bills although as she is a student and under 18 these are funded from her part time work!

How do i stop the texts and get this refunded -it is not righ for a massive telecoms company to be effectively stealing money from a hard studying teenager!

Message 29 of 33

MI5
  • 144558 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27716 Solutions

@85222 

All the info you need is on the thread preceding your post. 

Currently using:
Message 30 of 33