Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying my bill with Revolut

Mike3011
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You want my money for your **** service? You have to accept my Revolut Card because there is no other bank account available! Every shop, restaurant, bar, airlines and so on accept Revolut! Worldwide! Only O2 not! Change it, otherwise you will not see any money from me! I spoke with Revolut already and they haven't declined my payment. That was O2! So fix it or you won't see any money!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mike3011 

This is not O2, it's a community forum made up of customers like yourself. Call O2. All numbers in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Guide: How to Pay Your Bill (Contract) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Mike3011 This is a customer community. If you don't pay, you'll just get disconnected and your credit rating will be impacted.

I will tag the account Gurus to see if they can help. @O2Angela@O2Richard can you assist?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 14

O2Richard
  • 35 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks @Bambino 

I will PM you @Mike3011 

please reply when you can

Former Guru team member
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Mike3011 

Unless you want a default on your credit file for the next 6 years, I strongly suggest you find a way to pay. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

O2 are perfectly entitled to choose which payment methods are acceptable to them.

It isn't up to you to demand that they accept your desired method

Default on your payments and apart from having debt collectors come knocking, you will find it almost impossible to set up further credit agreements with anyone else

Message 6 of 14

kora
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same issue here. It works by direct debit, but if I manually try to pay my bill from myo2 it just doesn't work.

I contacted O2 about it and said the same thing, basically "it's not my problem if you can't accept my payment" but they literally said that if it's impossible for me to pay online or by phone, that I would have to actually MAIL THEM THE MONEY... If you check the contract terms it does actually exclude them from any liability for this kind of thing... They will just tell you to mail them a cheque or physical cash... It's so freaking dumb and frustrating...

And it's not a Revolut problem either, I contacted them and they assured me it's to do with O2, not Revolut... Thankfully I have a Starling account, so I just have to wire myself the money to my Starling account to pay my bill every month. It's extremely annoying.

Message 7 of 14

kora
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is a dumb, and unecessarily hostile comment.

Dumb because: this isn't about accepting a certain payment method type. Revolut are a bank, a bank like any other. O2 not accepting Revolut would be like O2 not accepting payments from people with HSBC, or Santander, or any other major high-street bank.

Hostile because: really...? Telling OP they're risking debt collection and being unable to get credit elsewhere..? And frankly your cut and dry tone just makes you sound unpleasant, and unhelpful. You could ABSOLUTELY have expressed the same opinion in a constructive and helpful way, you could also have actually offered OP a solution to their issue, such as "it's not ideal, but you could always open up another bank account with a bank like Starling for the sake of paying your O2 bill, it only takes 5 minutes to open a Starling account. It's not a resolution to the Revolut problem, but at least you won't risk getting into trouble by delaying paying your bill."

It expresses the same (relevant...) key point in a constructive and polite way, and actually provides a solution.

OP is angry and frustrated, and rightfully so, but you seem to have taken that personally for some reason. OP was expressing public frustration towards O2, as people do, because it's mass expressions of opinions like this which often result in actual change- if enough people are frustrated and loud enough, it drastically increases the chances of their concerns being addressed. And it IS extremely frustrating that O2 completely arbitrarily do not accept payments from Revolut. The entire infrastructure of bank payments literally relies on businesses and vendors accepting payments from major banks (major = anything VISA, Mastercard- in the UK). Selectively refusing certain major banks completely destabilises the entire infrastructure, as soon as you need X card for A vendor and Y card for B business, the whole system goes to crap. It's completely counter-productive for their own business, as it runs the risk of losing custom from those who bank with, in this case, Revolut.

There's a reason that O2 are the exception, not the rule here. It's in every business' best interest to accept as many payment methods (or at least as many banks as possible). No matter how you spin it, it's exceedingly dumb for them NOT to accept payments from Revolut, and there is absolutely no good reason for them not to. Literally everyone is a loser. Of course Revolut are still relatively small compared to high-street banks, so there's no real urgency for them to sort it out, but it's almost like you're making out like they actually don't want to accept Revolut "entitled to choose which payment methods are acceptable to them", this sentence actively attributes intention... I absolutely promise you that not accepting Revolut is not a conscious choice made by O2 execs... It's more than likely just laziness, and being slow on the challenger bank uptake. They will eventually, beyond a shadow of a doubt, catch up and begin accepting Revolut, as I said, it would be extremely dumb for them to actively choose not to...

Remember the human... OP's tone is understandable, and it's not aimed at an individual. Your tone is unpleasant, and in direct response to OP. If you think their tone is not appropriate, find a constructive way of expressing that opinion, no need to get so defensive on a multi-billion pound corporation's behalf, trust me, O2 don't care about someone moaning about their service, they undoubtedly endure far worse on a daily basis lmao

Edit: SHEESH I really wrote that much huh... For the record, it's not that I care THAT MUCH, I just really can't be concise in writing, and I do kinda just enjoy writing, regardless of what it's about. I get waaaaaay too carried away...

Message 8 of 14

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@kora 

Why reopen a 2 year old thread... 

The problem will be the PAN (Card Number) and specifically the 1st 6 digits, ie 5454 54 as this tells the merchant if the card is a UK registered card, and if it is not then o2 wont accept it, as you have to use a UK card with a UK address. 

The best way to get round this problems is to setup a Direct Debit, and not make manual payments, and if need be change the payment date. 

So o2 are correct its not there problem if your Financial Institution does not issue a UK Card, it could also be that Revolut have a higher incident of fraud as they are not a regulated bank but instead an E-Money Institution.. 

I really hope you dont put too much cash into Revolut, or have issues with fraud or locked accounts, as you will be up the swanny. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 14

kora
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Huh, I never knew that about the first 6 digits determining location!

As far as I'm aware though Revolut are based out of, and operate domestically, in the UK. Personally my Revolut card is issued, and set up in England, is tied to an address in England, and has my tax residency set to Great Britain. I'm not sure if that's the issue in the specific case of Revolut, but that's still a cool piece of info to have learned!

I'm pretty sure it's just gotta be a case of Revolut being a relatively small and young challenger bank, and O2 just being slow to begin accepting them. You're right about setting up a Direct Debit though, I do have a DD setup for all my O2 bills, but because of how I manage my finances (keeping my funds in a 'vault', i.e. separate from my primary balance from which payments are deducted- this is so I have better control, and I'm more on top of outgoing payments as I have to manually move funds into my account before any merchant can dip their hands in! Also it's a good security measure in the unlikely event of card theft/loss) I very rarely forget to credit my account in time for the bill to go. When this happens, it is absolutely and entirely my own fault, but I do nontheless find it inconvenient that I have to transfer money to my secondary bank account just to pay a couple bills when really there doesn't appear to be any reason for it. I can also understand why someone who has Revolut as their one and only bank account would find it exponentially more frustrating, as they are actually forced to either open a 2nd bank account, or physically mail O2 a cheque/cash to pay their bill. For me it's just a mild inconvenience to have to wire myself money, besides that I do find it just kind of dumb that they don't accept payments using a standard VISA card like any other, tied to a UK address, and issued by a UK based bank haha. I am pretty sure eventually they'll pull their socks up and accept them, I see no reason why they shouldn't. I pay all of my other bills and make literally all of my payments and purchases with the same Revolut card, O2 are the only merchant, vendor, shop, business I've encountered who do not take them, including other phone providers, ISPs, and utility providers...
Hey ho! At least I can just pay with my Starling account! haha

Edit: feel like I should add, I'm not absolutely confident in why exactly they don't accept Revolut, everything I've said above is very strong suspicions but I'd be lying if I said I was 100% sure about it. It's just based on my experience using Revolut as a primary bank account for 5 years and never encountering anything like this anywhere else. But there absolutely could be some obscure reason that evades me for why O2 do not take them. Just wanted to add this just in case... haha

Message 10 of 14