Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 sim/number swap difficulties.

Trumpton
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Never done this before and that might explain my unrest and unhappyness.

I have been on a monthly sim only deal for 3 years and generally happy but finally my nokia 6100 is dying. I sought the best O2 contract I could get and funny enough it was not with O2 but the Carephone Warehouse.

The new contract phone arrived this Monday morning. To end the old sim only contract and transfer my existing number to my new contract, I went into the O2 shop in town first thing only to be told that the shop can do nothing and that I need to speak to customer services. I felt this was wrong but went home and contacted customer services.

Around lunchtime Monday I contacted O2 customers services,spoke to a nice lady who told me at the end of the conversation that this was now dealt with. She said leave my new/sim phone turned off, my current number in my current phone will within 24 hours will lose service and when it does turn on the new phone and the new phone will have my existing number. I did as she said.

By 5pm today, Tuesday, still nothing. I'm still live on my existing number and old phone so I phone customer services who tell me, they have no trace of me making a call yesterday so there would have been no change of service activated. I explained I wasn't happy, even more so that I thought you could get this done at the shop, she said you can, I pointed out the shop had said no, she again said they could and we then went through 10 minutes of trying to sort things out which she assures me will now happen and gave the exact same advice about new phone off and old one left on. So again I am waiting upto another 24 hours

I am unhappy as I am now unsure what advice is correct, why there is a difference in advice leading to confusion and just when will this simple number swap within the very same network actually happen.

Sorry to rant, it's just within the same network I thought it would be easier

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Trumpton It is normally very simple to keep your existing number

O2 advice here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27667 Solutions
If it’s any consolation it is usually very straightforward and someone i know has just done the same think today with great success, so it can happen.
It is correct that the shop cannot do it directly but they could have called customer service for you whilst you were in store and the simplest of errors by the operator not pressing “save” at the bottom of the screen yesterday would have prevented anything from happening today.
Let’s hope it was done correctly today for you and that all will go well tomorrow.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 3