cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My O2 account was hacked!

Anonymous
Not applicable
A couple of weeks ago I received an odd text from O2 informing me that I can upgrade my handset in September 2013. Now, I have a sim-only contract and haven't had a new handset from O2 in a number of years but I knew my contract was due to expire some time in late September so I checked my O2 account online. It seems that I now have a new tariff of £36 a month, which I knew nothing about and checking on down the page I spotted a completed order which turned out to be for an iPhone 4. Naturally I hadn't placed this. The Yodel tracking number revealed that it had been delivered to an address that wasn't mine the previous day.
I called O2 and discovered that my security question had been changed along with my home address and e-mail address. Someone had clearly managed to access my O2 account online and ordered himself a phone at my expense. Since the user name and password are known only to me, either O2's site security is extremely poor or someone inside O2 has accessed my information. Either way, I'm not impressed.
The customer service adviser was very helpful and promised that the fraud department would investigate and call me. However, eight days later I have heard no word from them and in the meantime I can do nothing about changing my contract while there is an issue with my account. I was planning to get a new phone, possibly the new iPhone when it comes out, but now I'm very concerned about O2's security. I've been with them for over ten years but I'm seriously considering whether I want to continue with them now.
The only piece of good news is that the phone was delivered one day and blacklisted the next.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did O2 handle it?
Message 1 of 343
342 REPLIES 342

Anonymous
Not applicable
LOL!
Message 321 of 343

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was on a cheap sim free tariff. I have been with o2 for years and this is the first time this has happened to me. It's strange how the fraudster knew my account was ready for an upgrade? O2 fraud team have contacted me and have said that they can confirm that another person has used my account. I have been told that any charges that have been incurred as a result of this offence will be removed from my account. I can't believed it happened in the first place. Gonna keep a good eye on my account from now on!

Message 322 of 343

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You may want to report this to the police.

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Also report the fraud to the police http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud_protection/identity_fraud

This is identity theft and needs reporting perhaps when the plod arrive at o2 they may prevent this in future.

This has been allod to go on for far too long.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 323 of 343

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear this "worried", also ensure you get your new monthly tariff discounted back to your original payment.
Message 324 of 343

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly another victim here...

Like most others, I have a very secure PC at home, and don’t use other PC’s to access my account. Passwords also are very secure, with no paper going in the bin, all very suspicious.

Been with O2 for many years on one of their old 'unlimited data' £20/month sim only contracts. The 2000 'inclusive' texts meant I could text from abroad and they'd just take 4 from my bundle rather than charge me an additional 40p.

Made this mistake of overlooking the emails telling me of my new HTC Once purchase and finance agreement thinking they were spam.

Lost mobile network a few days ago but put it down to being abroad. On returning to UK yesterday evening, I was unable to reconnect to O2 network. Thought it was a problem with my sim.

Logged into my O2 account today to see a completed order for a new HTC One and a completely new contract. My address had been changed to one in East Sussex (I live in Scotland) and my email address had been changed to a hotmail one (alarmingly including my year of birth.)

Eventually got to speak to a CS advisor at O2 who has passed my case onto their fraud department and has told me I'll hear from them within 48 hours. I hope this is true.

In the meantime, I am unable to make or recieve calls or texts from my phone. Not ideal, esp as my phone is essential for my work. Worried I won't be able to return to my old tarrif that I've had for many years. If that's the case, there's no point on me staying with O2 and I will most definitely switch mobile phone providers.

Message 325 of 343

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It does seem to be a bit suspect a lot of these fraudulent are happening on old contracts.

I can see why you ignored the finance email I get a fair few emails proclaiming my finance request has been accepted and I just skirt over them presuming spam:(.

I wonder why they don't do somthing along the lines of everyone else and send an email or text to the account on record asking if you're the one whom has requested a change. "Reply 1 for no and block change or reply 9 for confirmation".

Exceedingly simple, unless (conspiracy mode) they make some money out of the "fraud" (conspiracy mode off).

You'll have to let us know how you get on:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 326 of 343

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will definitely let you know the outcome.

Just discovered a £600 credit agreement on 'My O2' account for the cost of the new phone. First payment due in July. slight_frown

Message 327 of 343

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ouch:( at least they have good choice in phones, shame they can't front the costs themselves!

Hope you have it sorted quickly! We're always around to whinge about O2 security in this thread (we all know its inadequate) or if you have any further questions we might be able to help with:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 328 of 343

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!
Yes, they certainly have good taste when it comes to phones - I have an HTC One S and love it.
Will post an update on here when I hear back from the fraud department.

Message 329 of 343

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

(breaking self enforced silence)

Do not wait to hear from the fraud department you a a victim of identity theft and this needs reporting immediately to action fraud here http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ (the more that do o2 will have to improve security)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 330 of 343