Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to phone to laptop

MM22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have a simple Alcatel phone which does everything I need but rarely use it because I find the tiny touchscreen slow and error prone.  I'm a confirmed computer user and except for the odd voice call when the other end will only use voice (BT and my GP surgery), I use a computer for everything else.

I drive a Vauxhall Astra with built-in voice connection software via Bluetooth, I set this up once and then when I get in the car with the phone in my bag, it auto-connects as soon as the ignition goes on.  The car hardware is great, big touchscreen and decent speakers.  

I also have a Windows 11 laptop with Bluetooth and decent speakers.  So, is this a silly question?  Is there software which would allow me to connect the phone and use it via the laptop like I can in the car?  

I might actually make some calls if there is!  

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11633 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3164 Solutions

@MM22 

You install the App from the Play Store, and on Windows and follow the instructions..

All the instructions are here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/sync-across-your-devices?r=1 

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 21 of 26

MM22
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Understood, that's what I did with my existing phone and didn't find out till I tried to activate the link that the 'device does not support the app'.  Just had 10 mins chat with Google and they will not guarantee the app works with the Pixel range.  So it looks like Samsung, who have it pre-installed. 

Caveat emptor, as they say!  Since the only reason I am changing the handset is to get computer connection, might as well be pre-informed.  Thank you for all your help.

Message 22 of 26

Oxonian
Level 35: Originator
  • 9636 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@MM22 

If you go for the Samsung Galaxy A54, I would expect that linking it to your PC would be stress-free. I know of several folks who have gone through this process without issues. 👍

Message 23 of 26

MM22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bought it today!  It really does have Link to Windows pre-installed, took a few tries to get it set up but worked in the end.  Will do the car tomorrow, just been told about Android Auto which does more than the on-board Vauxhall software.  A friend uses it with an older Galaxy that needs cable connection, I think this one might connect cable-free.  Thank you for the recommendation.  

Message 24 of 26

Oxonian
  • 9636 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@MM22 

Excellent news, glad all has gone well. 👍

Message 25 of 26

Oxonian
  • 9636 Posts