cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect IMEI number

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears that the IMEI number on my iphone is different to the IMEI number printed on my contract. This is causing a major headache with my insurance company as I don't have a valid receipt. Does anyone have any useful suggestions for resolving this issue?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27746 Solutions
All I can think of is that you go back to your insurance and explain the genuine mistake and give them details from your My O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I wasn't very hopeful, but thought it was worth seeing if anyone else had found a solution. So very frustrating.

Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is a tricky one very tricky and one that o2 could struggle with because it was orginally sold by P4U.. I take it you have explained this to the insurance company?? it may be better to just buy a new phone and less of a headache x

Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

as a ex P4U manager, it will be very difficult as if this was presented to us in store we would call H/O and get the paperwork rectified but as they are npo longer trading.... people on here make it sound so simple and tell you to call customer services but i very much doubt that they will be able to help as they was not the original vendor to sell you the phone.. so they will only confirm your handset IMEI and not the paperwork IMEI they shoudl be able to send you some kind of email stating the date the phone was connected to teh o2 network and that will match your paperwork from p4u.. once you have that send that to your insurance company and they should then be able to see the error....

Message 14 of 17

MI5
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27746 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

as a ex P4U manager, it will be very difficult as if this was presented to us in store we would call H/O and get the paperwork rectified but as they are npo longer trading.... people on here make it sound so simple and tell you to call customer services but i very much doubt that they will be able to help as they was not the original vendor to sell you the phone.. so they will only confirm your handset IMEI and not the paperwork IMEI they shoudl be able to send you some kind of email stating the date the phone was connected to teh o2 network and that will match your paperwork from p4u.. once you have that send that to your insurance company and they should then be able to see the error....

Which is exactly what has been said already.

Get confirmation from O2 of the IMEI in use (for however many months) and send this to the insurance explaining the mix up.

Calling CS is valid advice as they can give the historical data required. No one is suggesting that O2 are going to make up anything, just report the facts.

The rest is down to whether the insurance company accept this as proof of device ownership or not.

However, the lesson here for us all is to check our phones IMEI numbers against the paperwork and phone/box when getting a new device.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123212 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thanks for this advice Rich...I am off to check mine as we speak...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

MI5
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27746 Solutions
I need to check mine too - I don't ever remember doing so, ever. One just assumes it will be correct.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 17