cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to contact O2 if not already a customer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to ask O2 about legal signal boosters that I can install in a property with a very poor signal from the nearest mast (which is O2).

However I can't seem to find any way to contact O2 without already having an account number or a phone number with them. Even live chat won't let me in unless I give them an O2 phone number.

The whole point is I don't yet have a number with O2 as the property doesn't have a phone line and organisation that owns the property isn't yet with O2.

Anyone know how to do it?

Or are they delibererately stopping new customers joining them?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous

If you can give the full requirement we may be able to help but from the comments already posted you may struggle

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144346 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It's gonna need a micro cell installing.
If 600 new customers are going to sign up, I'm sure o2 will consider it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64and @MI5

Probably better if I give the situation as the situation dictates the requirements.

A bungalow inside a remote bit of National Trust land in the mountains of North Wales.

Owned by my mountaineering association with about 600 members and used as a climbing club hut. Legally the association is a ‘Mutual Society’ but I don’t know if that is classed as a business by O2.

The hut is used by all members at random and is pretty much fully occupied every weekend and holidays and at odd times in between.

Never had a fixed line phone and, even if we got planning permission it would cost over $60k to install one. Can just about get a very faint signal from an O2 mast some distance away (sometimes 1 bar, most times no bars)

Concerned that members there cannot contact anyone in the event of an accident, either due to working there alone or a climbing accident.

Hence would like some sort of phone out/in ability. Internet would be nice for the odd weather forecast etc but not essential.

Stand alone satellite phone too expensive to leave in a building that might be unoccupied and it could get lost if taken outside.

Satellite broadband is just about a possibility (too many mountains in the way for line of sight) but it’s a bit of an overkill to pay £25 a month for 10 Gb data download just to get VOIP so we can make phone calls – that we might often have to pay more for as they will often be to fixed lines.

Hence now investigating legal ways to boost the mobile signal we already have so it is usable by anyone with their own mobile phone, and with them paying their own bill.

Message 13 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144346 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Any chance of any lottery funding?
@Martin-O2 do you know which dept would deal with this kind of request?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 20

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous

Ok Now we understand the situation fully .

With o2 or any other network your options are nil for a booster or new cell. (unless o2 launch some specific product)

These remote situations may require a think out of the box solution like a point to piont wfif providing voip via solar  power etc  at remote location over a large distance to the building directional antenna or other legal forms of 2 way radio for emergency contact etc.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 20

gmarkj
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
We have a boost box at work due to poor signal (warehouse so building itself blocks signal).
As stated previously it needs a fixed line to attach to meaning that a standard boost box is unlikely to be your answer.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I had a fixed line then surely I wouldn't have a problem as I could already make calls? I do have mains power there so don't need solar etc.

I've heard of something that consists of an external aerial that picks up a mobile signal that goes into a box of some sort containing a sim card into which can be plugged an ordinary phone, sort of making a 'mobile' phone that is fixed in one location. Do these exist?

I'd prefer not to use a special sim phone (like http://www.capetune.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=45) as I already have a payphone that I'd like to connect so we can control costs in case people use it for general chatting.

Although one of those sim phones would do if I could get a strong enough signal, which brings me back here!
Message 17 of 20

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

only o2 customerservice can advise you further..

I do not know of a device you ,mention.

A mobie phone designed for a car instalation with an external corded handpiece and a 12 v supply and external antenna should work but then connecting to a payphone would not work .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 18 of 20

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

After some digging etc

look up Huawei B315 it is a 4g router  (also 2g and 3g) that has an external Telephone socket for connecting a normal phone you need to insert a voice and data sim . (But may breach o2 T&C for voice and data sims) and 2 external antenna sockets sma to connect to an external mimo antenna wide band i.e. 2g 3g 4g pointing at the o2 mast

Apple Watch series 4

Message 19 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, that's a good lead. It might even be what I was referring to. The engineer from Openreach told me about it but couldn't remember what it was called.
I've probably exhausted the goodwill of posters here now so I'll accept that as an answer. Thanks to all who replied.
Message 20 of 20