Did you mean: 

Forum Filter (Fit for purpose?!)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Martin-O2 @LukasB @TheresaV 

When I joined this forum in 2013 we had a forum filter which I understood was to stop swear words being posted. Such as the F word and the C word. Fair enough. Then we supposedly developed the filter so it removed email addresses, links and telephone numbers.

That has never worked. We still have to remind people to remove these to avoid being spammed.

However in terms of so called swear words, I think this forum should be moved into the 21st century.

On todays Word Hunt Diamond we had perfectly acceptable words removed by this filter. A few examples.

I wrote ****** (F L A N G E)  it was removed. This word means a piece of metal which holds on a tailpipe of a car or plane. . (It is also slang for the female VULVA)

****** F A G  or F A G E N D  I've had to space them so they won't be filtered out. Slang terms for a cigarette

If I say I'm going outside for a f a g it does NOT mean I'm off to engage in some sort of sexual activity male on male.

******IN F A G I N Also filtered out. Charles Dickins wrote about this man and I'm damn sure there was no-one there to filter that out!! It also means someone who pushes youngsters to steal.

I wrote about a MAINE ****** cat. C O O N. A breed of cat. Filtered out. I can't remember the last time I heard that word used in relation to a black person!

Then we come on to the breed of birds. Called ****** T I T S

Why on earth cant we write

Blue ******

Coal ******

Marsh ******

Great ******

Willow ******

Instead of

Willowtits

Bluetits

Coaltits

Marshtits

Greattits

The forum filter stops us writing the correct name.

I don't think it allows **** C R A P  or BULL****** (B U L L ****** ) 

However, in the emoji box we have a pile of **** (so we can show a picture of it but we can't say it?

I'm not the only one who feels like this and others can feel free to add comments as they like but personally I'm sick to death of it and think the filter needs updating.

I'm NOT asking the forum filter to allow a swear fest. What I'm asking is some common sense.

That's all!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Any news on the spellcheck @Martin-O2 ?

Yes, while you were away @jonsie, @Martin-O2 decided to stay with the one currently in use. It underlines in red and if you left hand click, it gives the correct spelling. Vastly superior to the old Lithium one i.m.o.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 52 of 59

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 53 of 59

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

Hey everyone, 

Firstly apologies for the time it’s taken to get back to you all on this but I’ve now had the opportunity to have a discussion with O2 about these words being removed from the filter. 

Words that have now been removed from the filter: 

Crap 

Flange 

Unfortunately all the other words suggested wont be removed from the filter. This is because they have a potential for misuse and the downside of being misused outweighs the benefit of allowing them, given how infrequently legitimate use comes up. 

I am investigating if the filter can be adjusted to allow some of these words if they are part of a longer word and will update you on my findings shortly. In the mean time as a compromise I'm happy to allow you to bypass the filter for legitimate uses if the blocked words, for example racc00n. 

If you have any specific questions about the words that will remain blocked please drop me a PM about it so we can avoid bypassing the filter on a public board. 

I am concerned that t.i.t. is not allowed @Martin-O2?

WE have a range of British birds that we have to spell wrongly in order to get them through the filter. Seems quite ridiculous to me!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 59

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25162 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the update @Martin-O2 on the forum filter.

I must agree 100% with @Cleoriff with regards to t.i.t.

As I`m sure you are aware the word is more frequently used for species of birds and today is RSPB`s survey of British birds I`m confident that many users of this forum may be taking part in this.

I would also like to add that I cannot see the reasoning behind not allowing D.i.c.k - as it is a person`s name and features in history, literature, music, sport, art.

With the filter not allowing either of these words means that questions and answers with these words cannot be used in WRQ, which has recently attracted two new members. 

I hope there can be a rethink about these two words and both will be allowing on the forum. 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 55 of 59

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@jonsie the spell checker uses your Internet browser so check your settings there. If you continue to have issues let me know. 😉

@Cleoriff I understand but we've decided to be extra cautious. There still might the the possibility of a whitelist for words that contain a blocked word so I'll let you know as soon as I have any info on that. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 56 of 59

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo sorry you posted while I was writing my reply. I'm going to continue to work on getting something in place that will allow these words in the proper context so this on is certainly not closed. 

In the mean time please do bypass the filter if you need to legitimately need to use these words. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 57 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean really, is the word t.i.t  so crude in any way it's used in 2022? 

Everything has to be taken in context, word filters are useless.

Message 58 of 59

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35950 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

I had the misfortune to have to take a large animal from Stonehaven to the nearest large animal clinic decades ago. The animal, a horse, sadly did not make it. The clinic, just south of Edinburgh, is "The Royal (*****) Vet" college's "The ***** Vet Equine Hospital":

https://www.ed.ac.uk/vet/services/equine-services/hospital

Message 59 of 59