Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE v O2 network in Lowestoft area?

Aphid
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is the O2 network a good switching option?

Having been with EE for several years I'm considering a switch to O2, which seems to have better coverage in my area including a limited 5G zone in town. Would a switch to a 5G SIM only deal (I own my 5G ready Galaxy S20 Plus outright) be a good idea? I would welcome general opinions, particularly from local NR33 O2 users, please.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Aphid What it says on O2's coverage map is only a generalisation. Get a Pay & Go sim to try before you switch providers.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

Aphid
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply and sensible suggestion. It is for that reason that I was tempted to get a (contract free) Giffgaff SIM that piggy backs the O2 network, to see what O2 coverage is actually like. And aware of the 14 day money back entitlement should I get a 12 month O2 5G SIM deal.

The network map for EE shows that outdoor coverage for my specific location is great, but indoor less so, and in fact I always have reception issues making and receiving calls within my house. The O2 map shows great coverage for both indoor and outdoor in my specific location.

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Aphid Your lack of reception in your house may be because of the structure of the house itself, so getting a GiffGaff sim to try would be a good idea. If you have problems with the GiffGaff sim, take a look here: How can I sort out my network issues? - o2uk

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

Aphid
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Bambino I've learned to make or take calls in certain limited parts of the house but far from an ideal scenario, so certainly my house may be a factor. However, I have EE's WiFi calling set up which should mitigate those issues...apparently! I do have a very strong WiFi connection too. I'm quite sure its an EE coverage issue and now, with my current EE contract ending soon, is an opportunity to test that out with a GiffGaff or O2 5G SIM.

Message 5 of 5