Did you mean: 

Batteries

JimmyGS2
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Forgive me if this ends up into a rant.

My Galaxy S2 has started to behave oddly. I could be on the net with it, then put it to sleep and place it on the table. So many minutes later i can not wake it up. I take out the battery, put it back in and on it comes but with, and sometimes, a massive drop in power with a sharp vertical line on the battery usage graph.

I spoke to one of the 02 chat people who advised to get a new battery. So heres my beef. You can not buy a galaxy s2 from a) any 02 store, b) carphonewarehouse. You can buy them at indipendant stores but you will find the price to way higher than 02's £19.99.

So instead of being able to sort the problem quickly, before the phone decides it wont work at all, i have to wait up to 5 days to get one delivered from the 02 online store.

Sorry again but its really wound me up.

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Let us know how you get on and if they find anything...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 41 of 59

JimmyGS2
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I will. Hoping it doesn't happen again. Before next Tuesday. I've removed all my apps to see if it was a software conflict.
Message 42 of 59

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions

JimmyGS2 wrote: I've removed all my apps to see if it was a software conflict.
When you did the factory reset (if done properly) it would have removed all apps and reset the OS.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 43 of 59

JimmyGS2
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After i did the reset it restored my apps. Then it had an "episode" so i removed all of them except MY O2 and Whatsap. I now use the default browser for facebook, twitter and other sites i visit which i had an app for. So far the phone is behaving normally. strangly the factory reset changed something. Before. when i pulled the notifications bar down and changed to silent or press the power button and do the same it would automatically add vibrate. Now it doesnt.

Message 44 of 59

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
The sound toggle should cycle through sound, vibrate and off...
Message 45 of 59

JimmyGS2
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah. but before the reset, when i taped the speaker symbol in the quick buttons at the top of notifications it automatically engaged vibrate when it muted the sound. now i have to press it again to engage vibrate
Message 46 of 59

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
yes, that's how it is on 4.03. Before it was sound or vibrate, now it's sound, vibrate or nothing.... The factory reset engaged this function which indicates that the flash wasn't fully successful before and was probably the reason for the OS conflict....
Message 47 of 59

JimmyGS2
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I plan to see how things go till next tuesday. if i get another incident i will send it away for repair. Im tempted to sell some stuff i dont use anymore to see if i can get enough to get an S3
Message 48 of 59

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I purchased an Extended Battery from Amazon. Great purchase as it's the official Samsung.

Android apps don't actually run or use any extra power when they're not in use (except when gathering background data - you can disable these in the Data Usage settings). This is a common misconception and these apps like Juice defender don't help at all. If anything they add strain to your handset by running unnecessary background tasks.

If you have a rooted phone and are able to control the hardware settings, you can tweak certain features such as the CPU speed and what not. Otherwise you are only clearing RAM allocations from memory. The actual built-in Samsung memory clearing utility is just as good as any. However it will not allow you close persistent background processes; the only answer will be to remove them or disable them at start-up.

In the developer settings, you can limit the amount of tasks (applications) that can run at the same time if you are wanting to save resources. Although in mind this is pointless and besides the point of the handset. Unless you really need 3G constantly, use 2G only.

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 49 of 59

JimmyGS2
  • 66 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello all heres an update.

I have received the new battery but not yet using it. As i said before, i removed apps like Facebook, Verge, CNET, Zedge, Twitter, Sky News and a few more. I left behind my battery widget, my 02, flash and whatsapp. The last recorded incident was on Tuesday. So after the factory reset and the removal of these apps my phone is running smooth and even has better battery life. Right now it has 532% left and has been running for over 20 hours. My guess is one of the apps i removed was causing one hell of a conflict. What are your thoughts. Oh and thanks for everyone's contributions in this saga.
Message 50 of 59