Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel abroad O2 Business 80% more expensive than O2 Consumer

LemonSherbet
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need to travel to the States.  To use my phone there will cost £9.00 per day (£7.50 plus VAT) on O2 Business with a limit of 500MB data per day.  If I had a consumer contract data useage would be unlimited (with slower speed restrictions after 1GB per day )and would cost £4.99 per day.  Business Travel is 80% more expensive for 50% of the service!

WHY is the O2 Business daily traveller rate SO HIGH?  O2 has the worst roaming costs of any mobile operator to start with, but why are O2 Business customers particularly being singled out for a right royal ripping off?

I hope that potential Business customers looking through this forum will see this.  This is a huge no-no to Business customers trying to get overseas revenue streams started up in this post-Brexit age.  Really, really poor service, O2.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Unfortunately as a customer lead forum @LemonSherbet we have no idea why O2 set the prices they do.

However, I need to correct one thing from your post above - customers do not get 1gb of data before throttling comes in. From our experience it is immediately although O2 state that it should be after 100mb.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I agree with the previous comment, and the reason for the disparity in price is probably the fact that you get an extra 400MB at full speed on the business tariff.  I'd noticed this before when I was travelling to the states (though I'm on a consumer tariff).  To look at 100MB and read it as 1000MB is easily done.  

I must admint I don't see the benefit in going to a business tariff.  If you can use the consumer tariff it definitely seems worthwhile.

I like O2 generally - they're the only network that cuts it's bills once you've run out of contract, whereas the other three networks continue to charge you full whack.  But there are other neat features that other networks offer that O2 could consider adding: eg shared minutes and data in a family pack (Voda and EE).  I also wish they'd introduce second line for sims so you could have a work number and personla number on the same phone, as Orange used to offer (I'm not aware that any network offers this now).

Message 3 of 6

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Consumer unlimited data is actually unusable unlimited data anywhere outside the EU.

Message 4 of 6

LemonSherbet
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I spoke at length to O2 on this issue and I was told categorically that throttling started at 1 gb, not 100 mb.

So can anyone confirm that the 500mb data is any different from the consumer offering? Can anyone tell me from actual experience rather than from assumption that the Business 500mb of data is unthrottled and 'superior'?

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@LemonSherbetwrote:

I spoke at length to O2 on this issue and I was told categorically that throttling started at 1 gb, not 100 mb.

I can confirm this is incorrect from first hand experience.

@Marjo @Martin-O2 can you feedback that O2 are lying to customers please?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6