cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial Direct - Has anyone managed to get out of the contract?

django90
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

I have seen muliple posts about Aerial Direct the 'trusted' business partners of 02 on this forum and online. Has anyone been able to sucessfully get out of their contract? I dont need to be told about the business ethics of this company, I have seen the previous posts and have been fooled for a while! 

Any advice please?

Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's brilliant information @Filomena and as there must be litterally hundreds in the same position, then any questions can be referred to this thread. Well done and the best of luck with this.

Message 91 of 118

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for that detailed post @Filomena. As @jonsie  says it will be helpful to so many others who have been mis-sold a contract by Aerial Direct. I just hope they have the same persistence as your good self. Please keep us updated. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 92 of 118

Simon_J_C
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Any news @Filomena ? It's been a few weeks since your last update and I wondered how you were getting on.

I'm paying £39 a month at the moment and my contract ends in December - there's no way I want to wait that long, but buying my way out is going to be expensive (approx £300) and like the very 'helpful' person at Aerial Direct said "you're never going to claw that back anytime soon"

Message 93 of 118

Filomena
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Filomena wrote:

Hi Guys

Since no one else is posting here, i will try to keep you all updated. 

I've got advice from the legal guys, who said i need to make an action against Aerial Direct, not o2, since my complaint is due to the terms of the contract. 

So in support of my claim, i wanted to obviously make a subject access request , since i am alleging i was missold my contract on the phone and needed recordings of the calls. but i was wary of sending my passport info and such via email or post, and needed to know if i could redact it to protect against identity fraud. 

so i contacted o2, they didnt know much about it, but their email subjectaccess2@o2.com was very helpful. ( in my case i needed two calls - one from o2 and one from aerial, so i had to make two seperate subject access reqests)

however i ALSO contacted aerial direct for a subject access request, about redacting my ID .

here's the interesting bit. so when i originally submitted my complaint, they sent me an automatic letter saying they will investigate within 8 weeks and to email them if i have more info to submit. 

but regarding my query on the call recordings, they said a manager will call me back. that manager is the one who is also in charge of complaints. he told me previously they would be sending me the call recording anyway (a month later, i have not got anything), now he said there was no need for me to provide id and just a phone bill is fine. he also said, i could not use the phone call to add to my complaint. i had to withdraw my complaint, wait to get the call details via subject access, then put in a new complaint, from which my 8 weeks to go to the ombudsman will restart.  i said, represeentations were made to me on the phone which i based my transactional decisions on, and they turned out to be false. the man said, ok we can look at all that later, but i need to withdraw my complaint and wait to get the call. 

no way in heck am i doing that. why am i gonna make the same complaint twice, over 16 weeks?? so i phoned citizens advice, who also put me in touch with trading standards, and the ICO - they basically said aerial sounded very dodgy  and just to follow what is in writing regarding their procedure. 

they also said, that as long as i can prove i am not a business customer, all my rights will be the same as for a personal customer regardless of what the contract is called. they pointed me to various regulations which were very helpful. 

so now i am going to contact trading standards again as a follow up.

i havent had time to submit my SAR for the calls since i've been super busy but i am going to do it tomorrow. 

conclusion - if you have been missold a business contract by aerial direct, do not be fooled. if you are a personal custimer, you will be treated as if you were one in the eyes of the law. secondly, aerial direct are dodgy as heck. keep it all in writing and refuse to deal with them on the phone. 

i will continue to update as things progress

=========

So further to my post above, I didn't update in a while because before my subject access request to o2 was delivered (takes up to a month) and just before my 8 week complaint deadline to go to the ombudsman, the whole of England went into lockdown AND I caught covid-19 and was ill for 6 weeks and ended up in hospital.

So things were out until about mid May. Then I got my subject access request docs from o2 and aerial. Still having heard no update about my complaint from aerial direct

When I went though my account notes from aerial direct, you know the call I referred to above where I requested my call records and aerial said I had to withdraw my complaint in order to access the information, then reissue a new complaint after I got the call records ? Since I went ahead and requested my call records, as is my right under gdpr, aerial direct put in my notes "customer has requested to close her complaint" and they closed it! Immediately I rang them and said, no, I havrnt closed it, I was waiting for a response. And by the way, the manager who was dealing with my complaint told me there was no point in making a complaint nt anyway since in their internal procedure, everyone would agree I was wrong and so would the ombudsman, and they went ahead and closed my complaint with out my knowledge or permission??? 

They got back to me and offered to pay half the bill AND, I'd found out o2 had an offer on at the time I reneweed my contract which would have been very obviously more suitable for my usage which they hadn't offered me,so I sent them the info and they offered it going forwards to me

But thats no good because had I been offered it at the time I renewed, I would not have incurred the high bill.

Then they tried to blame these "unprecedented times" as a reason for me to accept their offer. Duh! If they had got back to me before 8 weeks was up, there would be no reason to consider unprecedented times. Instead, they couldn't be bothered to deal with my complaint so they closed it in secret without telling me hoping I'd forgotten 

Then, aerial told me they were sending me an initial resolution letter,for me to consider then get back to them, then they would make me a final resolution deadlock letter. 

However, the initial resolution letter contained the text saying it was a deadlock letter. Obviously this is a big deal since your deadline of 1 year to complain to the ombudsman starts to run from the date of the deadlock letter. So I called the ombudsman who said, its not at all normal to issue preliminary and a final deadlock letters and the year starts to run from the preliminary deadlock letter

So its with me at the moment, I need to get my calls transcribed. I haven't  decided if to go back to aerial to discuss it then get a final deadlock letter, or if to go right to the ombudsman. 

Although aerial can cancel my high bill and offer me the contract they should have done, only the ombudsman has the power to set aside my entire contract with aerial (so I can go back to o2 directly) and cancel my big bill and the ombudsman also can get you a goodwill payment to cover your time and effort. 

So I'm thinking I'll probably summarise what I want to aerial, but expect to have to go to the ombudsman. 

Message 94 of 118

Jonny5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Filomena, Jesus, what a nightmare journey you’ve been through. The same situation with Aerial Direct has happened to my mum. Although in her case she has a cheap phone deal rate (£15 per month with 1gb data), but they have added 2 subscription services for Office 365 and some other thing called Box services (£8 extra per month). She has no idea what these are, so I am looking into the process of this being missold to her, or potentially fraudulently being added to her contract without her knowledge. I will be following your advice/process and look forward to hearing your current outcome. Best of luck!
Message 95 of 118

Bev13yorks
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’ve got this exact same problem but with M & J Acquisitions and plan.com. No help whatsoever and I’m stuck in a business contract as a consumer with no where to go.

with regards to the subject access request - apparently M & J don't have records of previous conversations, so where does that leave me with regards to what I was told, and the fact that the plan.com contract says different but I was verbally assured it was ok and in 18months my contract would be up?

O2 can't/won't look at my complaint as its with plan.com, plan.com can't change my contract even though its electronically signed up with them as M & J agreed it (even though the terms are different) and M & J are saying there's nothing they can do to change it - I'm paying almost £50 per month for a really basic contract that could be a £20 per month SIM only contract to a 'normal consumer' (which I am, but they've signed me up as a business).  So effectively I'm stuck until november 21 having already been paying the same costs since 2018!!  

If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be welcomed.  Thanks

Message 96 of 118

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bev13yorks 

I will tag the community managers to the post. Not sure if they can help but worth a try.

@Marjo @Martin-O2 @LukasB ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 97 of 118

Bev13yorks
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you
Message 98 of 118

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @Cleoriff!

@Bev13yorks I've replied to your private message. slight_smile

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 99 of 118

EW1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm so glad i've found this forum, I was an O2 business customer and also got scammed to move over to them when they phoned me in 2012 and told me O2 were handing over business contracts to them.  I closed my business 2 years ago and tried to get back onto O2 and kept getting offered new tariffs, and told that not being a business doesn't matter now.  When i closed my company, my phone also started blowing the data limits on my tariff, just about the time they phoned to 'renew'.  I didn't realise that each time they were working about  a year or 2 in advance of current contract end dates, and somehow i ended up stuck in about another 24 months or more of contract. 

They just called me today asking me to renew on a 'better deal' which is better than i'm on now, but not as good as O2 consumer deals, i said i don't want to renew right now thanks as i feel a bit trapped, and that i don't have any flexibility, and got a barrage of info in a condescending tone as to how if i wanted to save money, give them a call.  I thought for a moment my time might be up, but no, i've still got another 12 months to go.  They told me they are 'O2' and have the same deals but with better discounts so i'd be silly to want to move, then the guy hung up on me.

Are they likely to try and stop me moving my number away from them next year? Will i automatically drop off their tariff and be able to move to O2 in 12 months? I've had my number for 25 years, i'm not about to lose it now. 

Message 100 of 118