cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial Direct - Has anyone managed to get out of the contract?

django90
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

I have seen muliple posts about Aerial Direct the 'trusted' business partners of 02 on this forum and online. Has anyone been able to sucessfully get out of their contract? I dont need to be told about the business ethics of this company, I have seen the previous posts and have been fooled for a while! 

Any advice please?

Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

At the risk of repeating ourselves @Martin-O2 , why do O2 still allow this scumbag of a company to drag their name through the mud? Is there any point in feeding all this back and linking to the numerous threads and posts or is it just a case of money and profit being placed above the well being and care of their customers?

Message 81 of 118

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122812 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

At the risk of repeating ourselves @Martin-O2 , why do O2 still allow this scumbag of a company to drag their name through the mud? Is there any point in feeding all this back and linking to the numerous threads and posts or is it just a case of money and profit being placed above the well being and care of their customers?

Totally agree @jonsie . Appalling company.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 82 of 118

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I've replied to your message @shallacatop! Please get back to me when you have a minute. wink

@jonsie@Cleoriff as with a lot of things on the community we often only hear about it when things go wrong which can give a slanted view of things. There are lots of perfectly happy customers out there who we just don't here from.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 83 of 118

shallacatop
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi @Martin-O2, thanks for taking the time out to PM me. I have responded and hope we can get this resolved. I'll also raise this as a complaint with Aerial Direct.
Message 84 of 118

Filomena
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there

I am so glad other people are having problems with Aerial Direct! At least I am not alone!! I need to get out of a new contract with them due to being misled and conned like most of you too.

Five years ago or so, I'd been with O2 for around 10 years and they offered to pass me onto their "trusted business partner" Aerial direct, who deal with business accounts. 

i am not a business customer, but they said, aerial direct will be able to give me much better "business deals" that they dont have access to. That i would have a dedicated customer account manager so no waiting in long call hold lines. That my account manager will review my usage and give me the best deals out there.

I stupidly accepted and for a few years it worked fine. 

Until last year, i was getting harrassing calls up to five per day from aerial telling me to renew my contract. eventually i blocked their number because it was non stop. i also complained, and told them not to call, but they started calling from another number. 

In december, my contract was due to be renewed. so i assumed, same as in previous years, they would offer me the best deal for my usage. i clearly stated in the call, that i assumed my minutes would include european calls. instead of correcting me and saying, no , your assumption is wrong, it doesnt, they went off on a tangent talking about rest of world pass. eventually i got an ok deal for £15 a month. 

when i got my first bill on the new tarrif it was huge because it actually didnt include european calls. 

i made a complaint, saying i thought it did, and i had stated my assumption in the call, and they had not corrected it, so i contnued to assume it was true. they said, i am wrong, and there is nothing they can do except reduce it by 25%. it was a five minute call with aerial direct manager, and they said if i dont like it, i can write a complaint, it will come back to him after 6 weeks, he will tell me the same thing again, and i could write to the ombudsman who will side with them. he said i have to sort out paying this huge bill with o2, because otherwise i could get cut off.

so i called o2 to sort out billing. explained exactly what happened to o2 billing team. they were so shocked, they said it was clear i was misled, and as a customer of "o2 and their trusted partners" for over 15 years, it was awful how i was treated by aerial direct. they also said i was not offered the best contract - on the o2 website there is one for £13 a month with double the data and inclusive of european calls, which is far better than what i was offered. they said i had been conned and advised me to call aerial direct again to try to sort it out amiably, but he agreed with me that aerial was in the wrong. however, i followed the o2 guy's advice, made the complaint, and o2 just refered me to aerial.

i now realise that my aerial "dedicated account manager" and my fake "business contract" are not preferential for longstanding o2 customers, neither are they the best tariffs o2 can offer. because they are not o2!!! 

at this stage i will write a complaint to aerial direct, asking for a credit for the bill, and to completely rescind my contract with them due to them misleading me as to
a) what was included in my contract (when i clearly stated my presumptions and they did nothing to correct them, as recorded in the call)
b) why i was given a business contract and
c) that i would get the best deals via my account manager - when in fact, o2 new perwsonal customers are getting much better deals than i was offered , despite me being a loyal o2 customer for over 15 years and
d) being misled as to the relationship between o2 and aerial direct.

i am not expecting much from this con company. if they had dealt with my complaint better, perhaps i would have been less likely to want to rescind my contract but now i want out. i am also going through the GDPR to get records of all my calls . so i am going to go through the motions of the complaint but really no one should have to go through all this stress. if i cant get the above, or at least, a credit to my account for the full amount of the bill and matching of that o2 contract, then i will be going to both the ombudsman and also seperately, through the court.

I have no idea how this works and neither does anyone else so i am trying to get deadlock letters from both o2 and aerial and take them both to the ombudsman to let them sort it out between them both and myself. if o2 really viewed them as a trusted partner, and really valued customer loyalties for almost 2 decades, they would intervene and sort it out for me. 

DO NOT USE AERIAL DIRECT THEY ARE A HUGE CON!!! ONLY USE O2 DIRECTLY. 

IF YOU ARE OFFERED A BUSINESS CONTRACT AND ARE NOT A BUSINESS, DO NOT BE FLATTERED BY THE LIES THAT IT IS A PRIVILIEGE FOR THEIR BEST CUSTOMERS. IT IS NOT, IT IS A WAY FOR CON COMPANIES LIKE AERIAL TO ERODE YOUR RIGHTS. 

DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR AERIAL ACCOUNT MANAGER HAS THE BEST DEALS FOR YOU.GO STRAIGHT TO O2  

I AM SUPER STRESSED RIGHT NOW AND LOOKING JUST TO GET THIS THING WITH THE OMBUDSMAN OVER WITH. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS. IF YOU ARE WITH AERIAL DIRECT, GET OUT BEFORE THE SAME HAPPENS TO YOU. IT COULD HAPPEN ANYTIME, I HAVE BEEN WITH THEM FIVE YEARS AND O2 DIRECTLY FOR 10 YEARS 

O2 IF YOU ARE LISTENING, GET RID OF THESE CON ARTISTS!!!! They are harming long term customers!!

I am going to try to keep these forums updated re my two deadlock letters and trying to liaise with the ombudsman, but it will take a couple months at least. 

The ombudsman deals with fairness, but the court deals with legal principle, and you can go to court if you don't get the right outcome from the ombudsman. 

Message 85 of 118

Filomena
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This whole thing about the fake business contracts and the confusion about aerial direct and o2, seems quite common

do you think some of the press would be interested? it must affect a lot of people. 

heck if i make money from the story, i will use it to buy my way out of the contract with aerial direct!!!

Message 86 of 118

Gerard1954
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Filomena,

Exact same thing happened me, horrible outfit, Ariel Direct, I do write to all my local and national newspapers and have got published a few times to warn others to beware of Ariel Direct, Local radio consumer programmes love these stories and both O2 and Ariel hate them. Good luck and keep spreading the words of warning about these cowboys, rogue traders not trusted partners,

Regards Gerard 

Message 87 of 118

Filomena
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Gerard. In your case, did you get anywhere?

The ombudsman is such hassle and takes so many months that I guess a lot just give up. I'm taking a day this weekend to work the paperwork and made a gdpr request

I also just got a deadlock letter from o2, it was super quick. But nothing is really their fault, my issue is aerial direct. I just asked both for the deadlock letter because I am not sure if the ombudsman will need both
Message 88 of 118

Filomena
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Guys

Since no one else is posting here, i will try to keep you all updated. 

I've got advice from the legal guys, who said i need to make an action against Aerial Direct, not o2, since my complaint is due to the terms of the contract. 

So in support of my claim, i wanted to obviously make a subject access request , since i am alleging i was missold my contract on the phone and needed recordings of the calls. but i was wary of sending my passport info and such via email or post, and needed to know if i could redact it to protect against identity fraud. 

so i contacted o2, they didnt know much about it, but their email subjectaccess2@o2.com was very helpful. ( in my case i needed two calls - one from o2 and one from aerial, so i had to make two seperate subject access reqests)

however i ALSO contacted aerial direct for a subject access request, about redacting my ID .

here's the interesting bit. so when i originally submitted my complaint, they sent me an automatic letter saying they will investigate within 8 weeks and to email them if i have more info to submit. 

but regarding my query on the call recordings, they said a manager will call me back. that manager is the one who is also in charge of complaints. he told me previously they would be sending me the call recording anyway (a month later, i have not got anything), now he said there was no need for me to provide id and just a phone bill is fine. he also said, i could not use the phone call to add to my complaint. i had to withdraw my complaint, wait to get the call details via subject access, then put in a new complaint, from which my 8 weeks to go to the ombudsman will restart.  i said, represeentations were made to me on the phone which i based my transactional decisions on, and they turned out to be false. the man said, ok we can look at all that later, but i need to withdraw my complaint and wait to get the call. 

no way in heck am i doing that. why am i gonna make the same complaint twice, over 16 weeks?? so i phoned citizens advice, who also put me in touch with trading standards, and the ICO - they basically said aerial sounded very dodgy  and just to follow what is in writing regarding their procedure. 

they also said, that as long as i can prove i am not a business customer, all my rights will be the same as for a personal customer regardless of what the contract is called. they pointed me to various regulations which were very helpful. 

so now i am going to contact trading standards again as a follow up.

i havent had time to submit my SAR for the calls since i've been super busy but i am going to do it tomorrow. 

conclusion - if you have been missold a business contract by aerial direct, do not be fooled. if you are a personal custimer, you will be treated as if you were one in the eyes of the law. secondly, aerial direct are dodgy as heck. keep it all in writing and refuse to deal with them on the phone. 

i will continue to update as things progress

Message 89 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work @Filomena .. keep at em!

Message 90 of 118