cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aerial Direct - Has anyone managed to get out of the contract?

django90
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 

I have seen muliple posts about Aerial Direct the 'trusted' business partners of 02 on this forum and online. Has anyone been able to sucessfully get out of their contract? I dont need to be told about the business ethics of this company, I have seen the previous posts and have been fooled for a while! 

Any advice please?

Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Thank you @Simon_J_C , it will be interesting to know

I've just this month taken out a sim only with 100GB nd unlimited minutes and texts for £20. I was paying the same for 25GB before the December offers.

Message 71 of 118

Simon_J_C
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sounds like a good deal, is that with o2?
Did you have to sign up for 24 months?
Message 72 of 118

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Yes with O2 but it's 18 months when I nwould normally go for 12 months. The fact that I have no wifi and tv package made it a no brainer to ne honest. I think the deal is still on the website but finishes shortly.

Message 73 of 118

Simon_J_C
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did wonder whether to check out BT, as I already have broadband with them, they offer 100GB but for £30 a month!

Message 74 of 118

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Even that is a far better deal than you are currently on with the cowboys that masquerade as Aerial disappointed

Message 75 of 118

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I can't get over how much Aerial are charging for sim only FGS. Highway robbery!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 76 of 118

Simon_J_C
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Aerial called me this morning to ask if I'd made a decision, so I told them I'd seen the MUCH better deals that o2 were offering and unless they could match them or they could decrease my fees for the remainder of my contract, I wasn't interested.

I asked how much it would cost me to buy myself out of my contract, they said approx £350.00, but backed that up with how that didn't make a lot of sense as I would be paying a lot more in the long run.
I said that at least I wouldn't be tied into a 2-3 year contract, to which they had no reply.

I guess I'll wait a few months until the overall buyout cost comes down and then switch contracts. There's bound to be a good deal around.

In the meantime, I may speak to o2 and mention that I didn't realise they weren't the same company and that I'd been mislead.

Is there a mobile phone ombudsman or perhaps I can ask Watchdog or MoneySaving Expert about it?

Message 77 of 118

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Simon_J_C wrote:Is there a mobile phone ombudsman or perhaps I can ask Watchdog or MoneySaving Expert about it?

@Martin-O2 or @Marjo may be able to help you?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 78 of 118

shallacatop
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Hoping you might be able to help me - this thread has been an eye opener!

I first used Aerial Direct in April 207 when I was a student. They cold called me, but offered a better deal than what I was getting - a SIM only contract with 4GB data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts. It emerged this was an O2 Business contract, which I wasn't aware of until a few months later and to this day have never been able to use the app.

In June 2017, they then gave me the option to add a phone onto this on finance for three years. I accepted this as I wouldn't have been able to pay for it outright.

In April 2018 the did a review of my contract and saw I'd paid £6 over a couple of times as I went over my data package. They then offered me a better contract of 30GB data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for an extra £12 a month, £7 of which they'd give back to me. Each month I have also been charged £3 for McAfee which I have never been able to remove or figure out how to implement it on my device. The contract is currently £44 a month (then the £7 refund) and the phone is £26 a month. £70 for 30GB data, unlimited calls, unlimited texts and an iPhone 6S Plus - extortion as you can see!

The handset isn't the issue, but the contract is: it turns out they added an extra 12 months to my review in April 2021, meaning I cannot cancel until then unless I pay £44 x 14 months. I've just phoned them and they said I am due a review in April 2020.

I want to get out of the contract as I am being ripped off and there are so many better deals out there. For example, I've just seen at £55 a month I can get double the data and an iPhone 11 Pro. That's £15 less than what I pay currently for a much better deal.

Any tips on how I can do this? I am prepared to pay the remainder of the handset off, but I do not want to go beyond April 2020 for this contract. I have been mislead, get charged an additional fee for McAfee and am unwittingly on a Business account.

Message 79 of 118

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Martin-O2 ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 80 of 118