cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone displaying wrong "My Number"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a PAYG iPhone yesterday and had my number ported over from my old O2 PAYG SIM today. The phone rings using my old number just fine, but when I goto "Settings" -> "Phone" the "My Number" at the top of the screen shows the number that the phone came with and not my ported number.

I put the SIM in my old phone (Sony k750i) temporarily and went to "Contacts" -> "Options" -> "Special Numbers" -> "My Numbers" and set the "My Mobile" setting to my ported number, it was the number that the phone came with originally. Then I put the SIM back in my iPhone but "My Number" was still displaying the number that the phone came with and not my ported number which is now tied to the SIM. (Found this info from google and it seemed to work for some but not others.)

I have tried a complete iPhone reset (which took 2h!!!) and still "My Number" is not showing my ported number.

I know this does not affect the iPhone's functionality in any way but it is really annoying that the wrong number is being displayed.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this sorted?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
why post information in a thread that was last replied to 10 months ago before ios5 came out.
the information posted is still valid for non ios5 handsets
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 41 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
You ask him why post information in a thread that was last replied to 10 months ago before iOS 5 came out?
Well, today this information was very helpful to me. I simply did what was suggested and my annoying problem was solved. Thank you d4v1d7.
Message 42 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I read this and tried and in works!!!
Settings > Messages > iMessage (turn off, then on) it tries to validate wrong number and after a few minutes it changes to the correct one and problems that I had been having are solved
Message 43 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bought an iPhone 5 and had the same issues with 'My Number' displaying temp number. Found this advice on the Apple Support Communities forums, (thread 3401647) and it worked!

"Fixed the issue by doing:

1. Switched off Face Time (Setting -> FaceTime-> FaceTime OFF)
  2. Switched off iMessage(Setting -> Messages->iMessage OFF)
  3. Switched on iMessage (The phone started “Verifying”the incorrect phone number, failed and set it to the correct ported number (seeSettings -> Messages -> Receive At -> Phone).
  4. At this point the “My Number” (Settings ->Phone -> My Number) had also updated.
  5. Switched on Face(Same “Verifying” as with iMessage, but tooktwo attempts).
  6. Power Cycled the ‘phone and re-synced to updateiTunes (Summary “Phone Number” field)"
Message 44 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I changed back to O2 I had no problem. Go to settings phone and you can edit the new sim number to your old one

Message 45 of 47

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

There seems to a theme developing here of resurrecting very old posts Crazy

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 46 of 47

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions
Message 47 of 47