Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling not reconnecting after returning home

Kuribo
Level 3: Thinker
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So on an iPhone 13 on iOS 16.6.1 (this happened on 16.6 and previous also), I have Wi-Fi calling enabled but if I leave the house and return it doesn't reconnect when I'm back on the Wi-Fi unless I turn on and off airplane mode then it will kick in and stay until the next time I leave the house. I've tried hard reset and also reset network settings but not effect. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Just irritating having to remember to do this to get it back every time I have to go out. As I say if I remember to toggle the airplane mode it will come on and works just fine… until I go out. I’ve also asked this in the Apple Help section of Reddit but no replies as of yet. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

@Kuribo 

Does your wifi reconnect or not?

Is it just wifi calling that doesn't engage?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, yes Wi-Fi always reconnects perfectly fine, just Wi-Fi calling will not come on until I turn on airplane mode and turn it off again - so it connect to Wi-Fi but stays saying normal “O2-UK”, then I turn on airplane mode (but leaving Wi-Fi on) and then it will come up “O2 WiFiCall” then I can turn airplane mode off and the Wi-Fi calling will stay on (until of course I leave home).

Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions

Not come across that issue before @Kuribo 

Have you asked O2 to check your account?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I haven’t but it’s definitely enabled, I’ve used it since it first rolled out as I’ve always had it on phones and used to live in a basement flat with appalling signal, as I say it is enabled as it connects and works perfectly fine as long as I do the airplane mode, I’m hopeful perhaps iOS 17 may fix it for me when released in the coming weeks. Although it could be a Virgin issue as I’m with them also and have one of their (notoriously rubbish) “superhub” routers. I need to connect to a different Wi-Fi to see if it will kick in of its own accord then, that way I can tell if it’s a Virgin problem at home or not. Thanks for replying slight_smile

Message 5 of 8

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Just an update to say I have managed to solve this with a SIM swap, asked in store and since using the new SIM it’s working fine as intended and auto switching on Wi-Fi calling when I’m on Wi-Fi.

Message 6 of 8

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6632 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1492 Solutions

@Kuribo Good to know.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 8

Kuribo
  • 55 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Update on update - since updating last night to ios17… it’s back to the old behaviour of not coming on - so I’m having to toggle airplane mode again to get it to activate 🤦‍♂️.

I’ve tried everything again - reset network settings, hard reboot, even ejected the SIM then put it back. Curiously when ejecting the SIM and reinserting it did activate the WiFi calling on its own but now it’s back to anytime WiFi is off or out of range and you reconnect - nope. I can’t keep swapping my SIM every time there’s an update. At wits end it’s so frustrating! 

Message 8 of 8