Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown callers

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Is it possible to block unknown numbers on the iPhone?

I had an issue with calls for a while and a few weeks ago I did what you suggested and signed up to TPS and since then the marketing calls (with numbers coming up) have stopped. (YAY!!!) Bouncy

However since then I have noticed a lot of random unknown number calls.  I don't tend to answer unknown/blocked numbers but on the occasions that I have, it's been an automated message - either about PPI or boiler installation or some other marketing.

I've browsed the community for answers and I can only seen to find suggestions for TPS.  I can't really complain to TPS since it's unknown numbers and it could be different marketing companies.  I've also browsed the Apple site for information but, to the best of my knowledge and the information that I have found, the iPhone can only block numbers which are known to you.

I don't tend to give my number out and when I sign up to things I always untick the option to receive marketing so it's really annoying that it still happens.  I know that it happens to everyone so i'm just wondering how other people deal with it?

Is there any way that this can be stopped?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The only answer I know of is to answer the call, if it's a UK company you can get their name and do something about it, but often they will give a made up name so you're still stuck.

Calls from abroad you can't do anything about.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

iOS7 has a blocking facility if the number is not hidden.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5845

There has been software in the past that identifies unknown numbers but has been stopped.

One option is to change your number with o2 which is free the 1st time.

o2 help link: http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

Message 2 of 12

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks BoB.

I know about that feature, but in my case it is unknown/blocked numbers so I can't put it in my blocked list 😞

I understand about marketing for business but sometimes it goes beyond trying to sell a product and close to stalking.

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

You're welcome.

If you do find out who it is then you can have the option to ask them to stop.

Unfortunately once they have your number some are like bloodhounds !

Crazy

Message 4 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The only answer I know of is to answer the call, if it's a UK company you can get their name and do something about it, but often they will give a made up name so you're still stuck.

Calls from abroad you can't do anything about.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 12

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23335 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3713 Solutions

Have you opted out of marketing messages and calls in your My O2?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 12

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Yes Bambino I have opted out of marketing calls on O2.  When I sugn up to sites I always opt out of marketing calls as well.

I'll try your idea perksie

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Next time they ring answer the phone with Hong fong takeaway I find that normally stops them slight_smile
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Next time they ring answer the phone with Hong fong takeaway I find that normally stops them slight_smile

I need to remember that one Damien.

Hero

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Took that tip from the only fools episode Bob when he was in that mafia house in Miami and del picked up the phone and said hello batter sea dogs home woof
Message 10 of 12