cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering on a factory unlocked iphone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4, bought directly from Apple and used on Orange (including tethering) with no problems.  I've moved over to O2 as the contract terms are better and currently, the tethering is working fine; however, I am regularly (every few days) getting a message asking me if I want to update my carrier settings which I am so far declining.  I am concerned that if I do so, it will disable the tethering option despite the phone not ever having been 'owned' my O2 and hence not being subsidised.

Does anyone know if the carrier settings update will disable the tethering or if I can do so with no problems?  I'm quite sure that O2 won't re-enable tethering if their update disables it so would rather avoid that complication.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Any help ? http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iTunes-keeps-asking-if-I-want-to-update-m...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if ththering is working and in settings it has already got o2 as the carrier it should not affect if you update to latest carrier settings.

Do you have the iphone data bolton and use the apn idata?

Latest on my 4s is version 13.0

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestion but it's not answering the question as I haven't accepted the carrier being installed. I'm wanting to ensure it won't prevent tethering if installed.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
The phone is working as expected, including data etc. I'm being asked about the carrier update and whether I want to install it. Searching elsewhere online has suggested that the carrier update will prevent tethering, although in general this seems to be on iPhones that were unlocked at the end of a contract rather than bought unlocked from new.
Message 5 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As I said what is shown in settings> general> about for the current carrier settings if it is already o2 then there will be no issue moving to latest tethering works on my o2 iphone 4s that has been unlocked by o2 during contract with 13.0 as the carrier settings.

Some have reported it is missing after installing but a reset network settings returns the option.

Hope that helps

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 13

Valerie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have an unblocked iphone 4 bought direct from Apple, and am with o2 pay and go plus a bolt-on ...  how can I get 'tethering' as I can't see hotspots anywhere

Valerie

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Valerie,

Do you have the personal hotspot option avaliable in settings?

Be helpful to know which data plan you are on and  iOS version.

Message 8 of 13

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My iPhone has the latest iOS and I am on text and Webb pay and go and the Worwe bolt on. 

I do not see personal hotspots in settings

Valerie 

Message 9 of 13

Valerie
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My iPhone has the latest iOS and I am on text and Webb pay and go and the works bolt on. 

I do not see personal hotspots in settings

Valerie 

Message 10 of 13