cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using non-iPhone sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I hope someone can help. I'm on a sim-only contract which isn't an iPhone contract. I've previously been able to use this sim in an iPhone by calling O2 and changing some settings.

I've tried putting my sim into an iPhone I've used previously and I can't get a signal. I've called O2 and been told that only iPhone sims will work but I know that this was not previously the case as I've used two iPhones on this contract. Can anyone help? I've already changed the APN settings.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which iPhone are you using ?

As long as the APN settings are correct and you have the correct sim you should be good to go.

Obviously a tariff with a data bundle will help stop costly bills.

Wonder if your sim has failed if your swapping it around !

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an iPhone 3GS

Just to check, I changed 'mobile' to 'idata' in the APN settings. Do I need to do anything else?

I've got an unlimited web bolt-on already, hence my reluctance to upgrade to an iPhone sim.

Customer Services suggested it might be because I haven't updated the software in over a year (I've only just started using it again) but then again they were adamant it wouldn't work without an iPhone specific sim to begin with so thought I'd check here first!

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, should also have said thank you for your reply!

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and no worries.

Well the 3GS as you know accepts the normal sim. It may be damaged !

It is always best to keep your phone updated to the newest iOS software in order to continue using the handset at its optimum.

And update to iTunes 11.

The newest is 6.0.2.

What are you on ?

Also contract or payg
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think the sim's damaged as it's back in my Nokia at the moment and works fine in that.

I'm on version 4.3.4 - I know, it's been a while!

I'm on a Simplicity contract.

Is it just the APN that needs checking in terms of settings? Is the username and password the same?

Is there anything else I can try bar upgrading the software?

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

If its on 4.3.4 you really need to update to 6.0.1 then you maybe able to use it 

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll definitely do that as soon as I'm home.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

It may take a while as iOS has had 5 updates since 4.3.4 then downloads to pc then, you have to download the software on to the phone & let it do its thing. Keep moving the mouse around every so often because if PC goes into screensaver mode, the download stops & you have to start fom the beginning again

Message 10 of 13