cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden new problem - iPhone sending multiple repeated text messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today throughout the day I sent text messges. It worked many times without any problem. Thereafter all text messages were sent multiple times. Sometimes 3-5 times each. I tested this by sending it to another phone I had and it did this to all numbers. The iPhone appears to send the messages fine however does not believe its been sent so I assume it is retrying. Usually after 3 tries it stops showing a failed message.

I have full signal at the location and it mysteriously started doing this on both my own and my wifes phone at exactly the same time. Neither phone has ever done this before.

I assume it is highly unlikely that two different models of iPhone would suddenly start developing the same fault so I asssume that the common factor is the network.

I chatted with a support person on the web site who seemed determined to convince me that it was my phones and that as if by some evil turn of fate both phones has broken at the same instant. I was told there was nothing wrong with the network. 

How this can be true is beyond comprehension but I followed the support persons guidlines and wasted 30minutes rebooting and re-reboting my phone. As I expect this had no effect.

I was then told to go and get a new sim. I will do this tomorrow but expect it to be a complete waste of time. If it solves the problem then I would be surprised.

I wonder has anyone else experienced this and found a solution with makes sense which does not involve a lot of wasted time. 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to O2 shop in Woking today and they replaced the SIM. I was pleasantly surprised how quick this was to do. Completed in a couple of minutes. Both phones started working immediately only sending 1 text when they should do. I actually did one of the phones myself at home later and it was quite easy to do and again the phones was only out of service for a minute or so.

In reply to the previous message. Both phones were kept in completely different places. One in a girlie handbag and one in a manly work bag. I cant think of any place where they would have been sitting together where they could have been damaged in a similar way. I had been using my phone all day sitting on a desk when it suddently went wrong. 

Anyway the SIM card pixes have done their trick and it was not too much trouble. So thanks to the gent in Woking for being so efficient and sorting it out. Also thanks to the online O2 representative who was in fact right after all. Replacing the SIM was what they eventually suggested and even though I did not believe it was the problem it did the trick.  It was a bit of a mystery but I guess we will never know why they both failed at the same time and only in a very specifc way.

If someone ever works this out then please let me know.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that is a wierd one. 

Do you or have you by any chance put your phones in the same place above a heater or near a speaker that could of messed with the Sim? Thinking of reasons why the same problem on both phones as happened.

I think it is a Sim problem but only changing that will tell and be thankful O2 do not charge for that unlike the other carriers

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup that is weird !

After turning your phone on and off and soft re booting by pressing the power button followed by the home button until the apple logo appears, and making sure your settings are 100% ok then maybe asking for a replacement SIM card may help.

I assume the recipients of the multiple texts may be getting a little irked !

Hope it resolves for you one way or another.

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to O2 shop in Woking today and they replaced the SIM. I was pleasantly surprised how quick this was to do. Completed in a couple of minutes. Both phones started working immediately only sending 1 text when they should do. I actually did one of the phones myself at home later and it was quite easy to do and again the phones was only out of service for a minute or so.

In reply to the previous message. Both phones were kept in completely different places. One in a girlie handbag and one in a manly work bag. I cant think of any place where they would have been sitting together where they could have been damaged in a similar way. I had been using my phone all day sitting on a desk when it suddently went wrong. 

Anyway the SIM card pixes have done their trick and it was not too much trouble. So thanks to the gent in Woking for being so efficient and sorting it out. Also thanks to the online O2 representative who was in fact right after all. Replacing the SIM was what they eventually suggested and even though I did not believe it was the problem it did the trick.  It was a bit of a mystery but I guess we will never know why they both failed at the same time and only in a very specifc way.

If someone ever works this out then please let me know.

Message 4 of 9

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You know it's not a manly work bag when you have to use the word manly haha grin

Glad you've got it sorted. I cannot fathom what went wrong 😕
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Manly bag Liquid, do you think the OP is worried about the bag he is carrying. 

To the OP please do not take that the wrong way, just honest gentle banter. 

Really glad you got it sorted and so weird both phones had the same issue at the same time hence why i asked about th phones being in the same place.

Message 6 of 9

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ooo no sorry its not supposed to be offensive:( I hope it wasn't taken that way.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144285 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It's always possible it was a network issue all along that has been fixed that coincided with you replacing the SIM's.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't worry Liquid.

I once remarked to a friend about the 'man bag' he was carrying and hit a raised eyebrow.

Do you recall when lots of people were walking round with bum bags ? And no I wasn't one of them !!
Message 9 of 9