cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering on a factory unlocked iphone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4, bought directly from Apple and used on Orange (including tethering) with no problems.  I've moved over to O2 as the contract terms are better and currently, the tethering is working fine; however, I am regularly (every few days) getting a message asking me if I want to update my carrier settings which I am so far declining.  I am concerned that if I do so, it will disable the tethering option despite the phone not ever having been 'owned' my O2 and hence not being subsidised.

Does anyone know if the carrier settings update will disable the tethering or if I can do so with no problems?  I'm quite sure that O2 won't re-enable tethering if their update disables it so would rather avoid that complication.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

unless it has changed recently payg cannot tether http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Personal-Hotspot-Tethering-on-Pay-and-Go/... see my reply in there

Then go to the iphone support pages and select tethering and it still says not on payg http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=86,E=0000000007159380517,K=3370,Sxi=7,T=gur...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like you need to switch the tariff to enable it. I'm on simplicity with the 500 meg bolt on and use it without issue.
Message 12 of 13

Valerie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 68 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well guess I will just make sure I don't take my iPad mini out anywhere unless I know there is one of those cloud wifi thingies, or to my son's or daughter's who both have a router which I can pick up. Might also look at giff  gaff someone mentioned . Not sure about changing a tarrif as I pay tenner now for the pay and go plus the bolt on 

Valerie

Message 13 of 13