Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S5 Losing Charge and Getting Hot

Catface
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 since July (this is my 2nd one- claimed on insurance after I had my 1st one stolen). The last few days, it's been on about 50% battery and when I've gone back to it a few hours later it's completely dead and has switched itself off. When I've then put it on charge, it's charging very slowly. I've turned it onto Airplane mode to try speed up charging but it's not helping. I'm using a HTC charger, could this be contributing to the slow charge speed? This morning I charged it using the Samsung charger it came with and it charged fine. So I accept this could be why it doesn't charge quick enough. It doesn't explain why the battery is rinsing so quickly though. 

I've never had any problems with the battery until now. It's previously charged up very quickly and kept the charge for extended periods of time. 

I've also noticed the phone has started getting really hot, even when not on charge or in use. 

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I've already claimed on my insurance once and I can't afford to pay the extortionate £120 to claim on it a 2nd time. The phone itself is still under manufacturers warranty but I'm not sure how long the batteries are under warranty for. 

HTC One X since 31/08/12
No real knowledge of Technology, be gentle.
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Catface
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well the battery drain appears to have been a one off (or rather two off) event. Ever since those 2 incidents, the battery has performed as well as ever.
I've just received the Lollipop update so I've gone ahead and disabled TuGo. I doubt I'll use it and I don't want any extra battery drainage.
I am now however, having the issue of not being able to turn my phone onto silent due to this horrible new update. I work nights and only being able to choose between vibrate and volume level 1 is highly frustrating. Both will wake me up and I can't turn the phone off because then my alarm won't go off.
I hate iphones but this update is actually making me consider one.
HTC One X since 31/08/12
No real knowledge of Technology, be gentle.
Message 31 of 34

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7475 Solutions

Hi @Catface  We had another member posting last week who mentioned they had a problem about not being able to turn the phone to silent... I think they were advised  how to enable silent mode by @MI5 

I have mentioned him in this response so hopefully he will be able to help wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm glad to hear the main issues have been resolved.
Message 33 of 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
I just use airplane mode at night. No disruptions and alarm still sounds.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 34 of 34