Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems activating mobile data on Apple Watch

HP2022
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have an Apple Watch SE with cellular data option.  But when I follow O2's instructions for setting up cellular plan via my phone it's not working.  I'm going via the Watch app on my phone, selecting Set Up Mobile Data, logging into O2, but then when it gets to the step where it tells me to select a plan to activate it no plan appears.  I rang O2 who seemed clueless and could only advise me to go to a shop.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@HP2022 

What phone and tariff do you have and do you pay by direct debit?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

HP2022
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an iPhone 12, pay monthly direct debit, and have unlimited minutes + 60GB data per month

Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@HP2022 

Do you have the idata bolt on enabled?

ie, does visual voicemail work and can you use wifi calling?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 18

HP2022
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't know of it being enabled - it's never been mentioned to me, and I do have a lot of problems with WhatsApp calls etc, so it might be the culprit!  On the phone to O2 to find out now, and have got through quickly thanks to your tips on how to navigate the phone options elsewhere on this board.  Thank you.  I'll update when I find out...

Message 5 of 18

HP2022
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've realised I do have visual voicemail - was just being a bit dense!  Speaking to O2 they say that the idata bolt-on is appearing on my account and that means it's enabled.  So still no solution sadly.

Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

and wifi calling is working too @HP2022 ?

Have O2 setup your eSim ?

Did you buy the watch from O2 or elsewhere and is it new or pre owned?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 18

HP2022
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I didn't have wifi calling enabled, but have toggled that on.  When testing by doing a call it isn't clear whether it's using the wifi - it just looks like normal call.  But I'm guessing it's automatically using it as wifi signal is good here.

O2 haven't set up an e sim - I bought the watch directly from Apple and it's my understanding Apple Watches have inbuilt sim?  The instructions on the O2 website is that all you need to do is go into mobile data on the watch app on iPhone and then select set up Mobile Data...  When I did this several times earlier today it allowed me to log into my O2 account at that point, but then at the next stage where it prompted me to select a data plan (which should be the £5p/m data plan for watch) nothing appeared to select so I couldn't progress to next screen...

However this has since deteriorated - now after I tap on Set Up Mobile Data, I'm taken to the screen which should be O2 login, but it now comes up with the O2 logo and says "oops something went wrong" - tells me to call 202 and quote reference code 110...

This happened while I was on the phone to one of the O2 advisors.  But he didn't seem to be able to work out that the reference meant, and told me I just have to leave it until tomorrow and see if it starts working then.

Message 8 of 18

HP2022
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh yes forgot to answer your other question - the watch is new, not pre-owned.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 18

MI5
  • 144362 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@HP2022 

To test wifi calling, put the phone into airplane mode and turn on wifi, then test by making a call.

As you didn't buy from O2, the eSim will need to be activated by O2 first.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 18