Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom voicemail alert

Umiamz
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Almost every time I power on my iPhone X I get a notification from the Phone app saying that there's a new voicemail. There's no badge on the Phone icon, just the alert which comes up as soon as I enter the SIM PIN.

If I tap on the alert it takes me to the Visual Voicemail section of the Phone app but there are no new voicemails.

I've tried a hard reset and also leaving a voicemail then deleting it. Still get the phantom alert, though.

Anybody else seen this?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Umiamz
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the suggestion of trying a different phone. I stuck the SIM in my Pixel 2 XL and immediately got the voicemail alert when I powered it on. I thought it might be a good idea to try leaving a voicemail and deleting it again, what with the SIM now being in a phone without VVM. This time, it appears to have worked (at least so far).

I've put the SIM back in my iPhone and power-cycled it a few times and still haven't got the voicemail alert yet, so fingers crossed... slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27700 Solutions
Call yourself from another phone and leave a voicemail.
Then call voicemail from your iPhone, listen to and delete your message, which should also clear the phantom one.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to get the same on my old iPhone 6s. I had read something ages ago about it something to do with when 3G is on because I noticed that if I was on WiFi with mobile data turned off then the notification would disappear until I turned data back on

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27700 Solutions
Probably because VVM requires a mobile data signal to work.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 12

Umiamz
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks, but, like I said, I’ve tried leaving a voicemail and then listening to it to no effect.

I tried calling 1760 to turn off VVM but this fails with a message saying I should contact customer support.

This phantom alert only happens when I power off/on the iPhone and it clears as soon as I tap on the alert banner - it’s fine the rest of the time, so it’s more of a minor irritation than a real problem.

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27700 Solutions
You could call customer service and ask them to reset your voice mailbox
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
Some more VM help here for reference https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/All-you-need-to-know-about-O2-Voicemail-901/m-...

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

A possible answer would be to try replacing the sim card. If you have a spare phone, put your present sim card in it and see if the phantom alert happens on that phone too.

Have a look at this older thread :

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices/Phantom-voicemail-notification/td-p/627322

Message 7 of 12

Umiamz
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for the suggestion of trying a different phone. I stuck the SIM in my Pixel 2 XL and immediately got the voicemail alert when I powered it on. I thought it might be a good idea to try leaving a voicemail and deleting it again, what with the SIM now being in a phone without VVM. This time, it appears to have worked (at least so far).

I've put the SIM back in my iPhone and power-cycled it a few times and still haven't got the voicemail alert yet, so fingers crossed... slight_smile

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 144495 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27700 Solutions
Hope it stays that way.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions