cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 travel help!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm in desperate need for help.
im currently in Malta with o2 travel activated (set up before I travelled)
i can make calls and texts and also can get 3G yet the Internet will not work neither will any apps as if I have no internet connection at all.

i have rang o2 many many times being passed backwards and forwards and no one seems to have any idea what is happening.
ive been offered compensation but that is no good as I need data.

things I have tried:

removing SIM card and restarting
comple reset of phone
choosing manual network
turning eu Internet off
turning data roaming on.
actually going into the mobile phone shop here in Malta to check if there is a signal problem with the carrier that o2 switches to here.
absolutely nothing has worked and I'm very angry with o2's complete lack of care here.

Thank you
Georgina

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@synge Have you tried manual network selection to select another carrier ? It could be a local issue 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 11 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Try rebooting the phone and also check that data roaming is enabled.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 33

synge
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Carrier - it defaults to O2.de, which would seem logical. I have tried manual adoption of vodaphone and one other, both without success.

Rebooting - done.

Data roaming - on, and I have also tried in turn 4G, 3G and 2G.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I now have to wait until the online chat support team starts work ...
Message 13 of 33

synge
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now resolved with the help of online chat support - roaming was not enabled on my account (even though it was was enabled on my phone and I had opted in to travel).
Message 14 of 33

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Glad live chat solved it

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 33

bexinthecity
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Ive been having the same problem in Switzerland - I have to activate and reactivate aeroplane mode several times to get it to kick in. Honestly o2 travel is useless - the only thing it's good for is calls and texts - when the data works it's so slow I give up.
Message 16 of 33

Leeds6
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You pay o2 travel daily only but rember it's not o2 fault its telephone company o2 local uses . I found no problems in Europe this year.

Message 17 of 33

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Not quite - I had severely slow data speeds to the point where it was pointless using it however in the exact same spot I booted up my iPad with the Three sim in - which used the same Swisscom network and speeds were lightning fast so O2 do throttle speeds (and admit they do)

Message 18 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Leeds6 wrote:

You pay o2 travel daily only but rember it's not o2 fault its telephone company o2 local uses . I found no problems in Europe this year.

Sorry but I think it's entirely O2's fault, you get no throttling with EE or Three.

Message 19 of 33

bexinthecity
  • 153 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Exactly.

Message 20 of 33