cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS works through iMessage but can't receive MMS from non Apple phones

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, my iPhone can send and receive pictures on iMessage without any trouble at all but I can't receive MMS from any other phone type without getting an O2 alert message directing me to view the picture on the O2 web page. I have reset my iPhone 5 but still only works on iMessage. Please help
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Hi there foldy and welcome to the forums:)

Couple quick questions to help us help you;

- is this a new phone on an existing contract? Eg just put the sim into a new phone or transfered from PAYG.

-how long has this been going on for? Since you've had the phone?

-what are your APN settings?
(Settings>general>mobile data>mobile data network)

-lastly are you on wifi or 3G when iMessage is working ok?

I'm sure we can help don't worry:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Liquid, new iPhone 5 upgraded in March, been with O2 for years but this might be new contract type as just ended O2 Lease in March and then went onto new monthly tariff. Only noticed problem today.

APN settings are idata.o2.co.uk
http://mmsc-ac.mms.o2.co.uk:10021/mmsc

82.132.254.1:8080

On 3G
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
New SIM card to. I can send MMS without using iMessage , cellular only, but can't receive MMS without getting a message referring me to the O2 web page
Message 4 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Ok at least we know you have the correct APN settings knocks that one out:)

Ok now lets try and reset the service others have had luck by txting;

"MMS" to 1010
"Active" to 2020

(Without "" but I'm sure you know that :))

Let us know how you get on with that. It's kind of wierd its only started today. Or is today the first time you've tried?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Neither texts work, no response to 1010 text and 2020 gives me thus response:-
Unfortunately we had problems dealing with your request for settings. Please contact Customer Service.

Most of my friends have iPhones so been getting MMS through iMessage no problem. Weirdly, I couldn't send MMS by cellular before now I can?! Still can't receive though, doesn't make any sense.
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Correction, if I send a cellular MMS to myself I can receive that no problem, does that count?
Message 7 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
No it doesn't make sense:( annoyingly these glitches happen from time to time:(

Ok unfortunatly your next step is to call 202 tomorrow and ask the CS rep to remove then restore your mms plan from your account.

Try to call 9-5 if possible to hopefully avoid a long wait in the que listening to dreadful music:D.

I wouldn't waste your time with live chat on this problem:(.

I'm sorry it hasn't been a quick and easy fix. Unfortunatly we're only customers ourselves so we don't have account access.

Let us know how you get on:)
Message 8 of 13

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
O now that's interesting!

Ok what phone is the person using to send the failed mms? Is it only the one person?
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my wife tried to send me an MMS by cellular on her iPhone 5 and it failed, she turned iMessage on and it came through straight away. My friend has a Samsung Galaxy S, I can send him cellular MMS but I can't receive MMS from him
Message 10 of 13