cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Suddenly Increased?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since recently paying off my iPhone 6, according to O2, I have suddenly (and inexplicably) started using up my entire data allowance within days of my latest bill. After many years with O2, this has not happened before - and I am also receiving texts from O2 to buy more, along with offers of an increase in data for £21 a month. I am not, to the best of my knowledge, doing anything differently - most of my apps are set to WIFI only, and when I’m out and about, most apps are off anyway. I’m suspicious of this sudden change and I would like to know if I’m not alone! I’m now looking at other providers.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
or you can get an app that does it. or do both!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 18

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome to the O2 community!

Did you find out what the problem was with your Data Usage? As they told you, we have seen several people talking about it and we will like to find out why! So if you can help us with more information... Thanks! thumbsup

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

This has happened to me too! I haven't paid off my phone, but after a year of using between 2.9 and 3.5 GB (of my 5GB allowance) per month, I got a notifcation half way through my last allowance period that I had used 80% of my data. Now I'm 7 days into my new allowance and I've used 2.5GB even though I've been switching mobile data off overnight and whenever I'm on wifi in the day, and I've turned mobile data off for most of my apps. Nothing in my web usage has changed to cause the increased usage. O2 has been zero help with this, and I'm furious that I'm just leaking data so that I'm going to have to buy more before my next allowance period. Absolute rubbish!

Message 13 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I am assured the O2 are investigating this issue at a general level right now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 18

MCNEEDHAM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Anyone have any new update on this issue....?

I am on a contract giving me 5GB data per month. Received a text on Sat 18th Aug at 1804 advising i'd used up 80% of my monthly allowance followed 20 minutes later by another text advising all of my data was used!! I subsequently bought a top up of 8GB data for £22 expecting it to last a couple of months and yesterday (26th Aug) i received another text advising i was out of data again!! Thats 13GB of data used in roughly 10 days, ive not changed anything, i don't stream any films or sit on You Tube all day, i use Google Play but only to listen to tunes that are downloaded to my phone (iPhone 7).. All of my previous months data usage average out at 4GB a month so i'm perplexed as to what's happened? 

I called O2 yesterday and was not happy with the response, I was basically told to turn off mobile data and only use it when i needed it!!! Load of rubbish, if that was the case whay has it spiked so dramatically on the last month and never before. The operator also advised that she could see my data was being used between 0430 - 0730 in the morning when i'm asleep and my phone is connected to my home network!!!

I'm expecting a call back from a manager today so we'll see if that brings any addditional solution, i suspect not!!

Message 15 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've never had any updates or satisfactory answers regarding this issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 18

RobC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You are not alone.

This has happened despite being linked to WiFi all day, I have gone through 3 GB today alone.

This is the second month in a row that data has suddenly leaked out of my iPhone.

Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Make sure you have wifi assist turned off and turn off data completely when only using wifi.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 18