Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage query

nansou
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I find I suddenly have a problem with data usage on my Iphone SE & was hoping someone could help me shed some light on it.

I have a small data allowance of 500mg as my phone is mostly connected to wifi & I've found this to be more than adequate for my needs. My average monthly usage for the last 6 months is about 320mg.

But today, 15 days before my next bill I get a text from o2 saying I've already used 80% of my allowance when my activity has been the same as previous months. I've not changed any of the phone settings (Wifi assist is always off). Unfortunately I keep forgetting to reset the data counter on the phone so I can't easily check it from that.

Grateful for any help & advice.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Best wishes slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @nansou

It's possible that your wifi dropped out and you didn't notice or something ran in the background when not on wifi.
Turn off your mobile data unless you need to use it and it shouldn't happen again.

See here for some tips to get the most from your data https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Tips-to-make-the-most-of-your-mobile-data/m-p...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

nansou
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply MI5, I've now turned it off & I'll have a look at the link.

I've recently got a new hub from Virgin & the range isn't as good as my old router so it could be something to do with that. I'll keep an eye on it,

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm on virgin and mine is always dropping out.
Not so much of a problem for me as I've got more data than I use, but it would be an issue if I only had 500mb.
Reset your phone at the start of next months billing cycle and keep an eye on your usage there too.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

nansou
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks again @MI5. I'm going to set myself a reminder now.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Best wishes slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 for the helpful explanation. Let us know how you get on with this @nansou slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 9

nansou
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT

Yes, data usage seems to have returned to normal. I think it could have been the updating of several apps whilst in the garden. When I checked later I found that the wifi on the phone had switched from 2.4 to 5GHz which doesn't have such a good range so I'll need to fiddle with the settings and maybe separate them if need be. I'll know for sure when I get the next bill.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Glad you found the reason and hope it's sorted now.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9