cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G, E or GPRS question - what is the difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've had a Iphone 5c since launch day and I was really impressed with it, particularly it's signal strength and internet speed on 3G.  Since the IOS 7.0.3 update, I can't keep 3G, and drop to E or even GPRS.  I can't recall ever seeing this before the update or on my Iphone 4.  Have they split 3G into 3 groups of strength and that's why I'm seeing E or GPRS?  I'm also disappointed that I have a 4G ready phone, 4G ready sim card, but I couldn't get better than GPRS in Sheffield city centre!  I've read a few threads on here about data connection on the newer models, and just wondered if the introduction of seeing E, GPRS or 3G is just that, a new display thing?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

in ios7 gprs replaced the dot for 2g data gprs slowest E has always been there faster 2g and 3g is all iphones display for the diferent versions of 3g

explained in this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/m-p/286204#U286204

You also need to be on a 4g tariff to see 4g data only

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

in ios7 gprs replaced the dot for 2g data gprs slowest E has always been there faster 2g and 3g is all iphones display for the diferent versions of 3g

explained in this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/m-p/286204#U286204

You also need to be on a 4g tariff to see 4g data only

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You should get better than GPRS in the City Centre but you will only see 3G unless you have a 4G tariff. Try turning airplane mode on/off to see if you get a better connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interesting reading thanks. Any ideas why I am dropping to E or GPRS when I never did on my IP4 or until the last couple of IOS updates? Appointment tonight with Apple Genius....
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do use the toggle, but seems to be hard work when i didn't have to do it before. I haven't got a 4G tariff. It was shocking, my friend had 4G and I was on GPRS, both iphone 5!
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
What does your service status say.

http://status.o2.co.uk

It says that Sheffield masts have an issue.

Check it with your postcode.
Message 6 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It could be a sim fault or a phone fault. These issues are always difficult....
The Apple genius will check the phone and reset your network settings which should eliminate the phone as a concern. After that you can get a free replacement sim from O2 to see it if helps further.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Service status is excellent home and work. It's when I drop to E or GPRS outside I know there must be a problem.
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks MI5, I've had a new sim, so hopefully the hardware check will give me some answers later. It's a shame as I was so impressed with the phone, but now it's frustrating!
Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Live results for Sheffield, Sheffield

Sorry a phone mast close to you isn't working
This means you might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails in this area.
Updated 08:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.
Message 10 of 23