Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling on OnePlus 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
So get this message from O2

It's time to say goodbye to TU Go.

We're closing it on 30 November. But you can keep using it right up until then.

To learn more and see what options are available to you including Wifi Calling, visit: http://s.o2.co.uk/dYyk1cTF

Which I need for the poor reception at home. However when you have only set up wi-fi calling for Sony, Samsung and iPhones and not any of the other phones you currently sell it is seriously short sited.

So when will Wi-fi calling be available for the OnePlus 5?
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousO2's wifi calling does not currently support texts. There is nothing in the pipeline that we know of.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies, my misunderstanding, thanks for the correction.

This is probably pressing point home that this service should be maintained then.

Message 12 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Apologies, my misunderstanding, thanks for the correction.

This is probably pressing point home that this service should be maintained then.

No problem @Anonymous. Just don't want people to get the wrong information wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Neither can WiFi calling, with or without texts, be used abroad when you don’t have a signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Neither can WiFi calling, with or without texts, be used abroad when you don’t have a signal.

And there you have it. It's all about the lost revenue from roaming when the new legislation came in. Now all customers are being made to suffer the consequences. 

Message 15 of 29

bluescreener
  • 81 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

If customers have a device that's capable of running TuGo then chances are they'll probably have WhatsAPp, Messenger, Telegram... installed. I'm sure that some of those apps will scan your contacts and make a voice call over a wifi or data connection. TuGo does this but it also uses your inclusive minutes or texts.

Since the O2/H3G merger/aquisition failed, O2 must be struggling. No innovation and cost cutting at every opportunity.

At the trailing edge of technology.
Message 16 of 29

TopperGas
Level 1: Joiner
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
WhatsApp etc will of only be of any use of the person you want to call is also on WhatsApp, so you probably can't call a elderly relation or a business etc once Tu support is removed and I wasn't even aware until I read the forum that was happening. Why can't O2 at least support the Tu app for the full 2 years customer will have their non WiFi calling phones.

I wonder if the new 5T will also miss out given it's probably going to have the same processor and OSS as the 5?
Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

That there are other messaging platforms isn't the point. TuGo (and WiFi Calling/Text) was useful because in areas without network coverage but with wifi i.e. in a house in rural areas, you are able to still receive calls and texts from anybody. If the entire world used WhatsApp then there would be no problem; obviously this isn't the case.

For O2 to discontinue a universal service that you are paying for while the replacement is limitedly supported is just incompetent. 

Especially in the case of the OnePlus 5. The phone is only around 6 months old, O2 is the only carrier that has it on contract, O2 doesn't support it for WiFi calling, but EE does.

I'm glad I bought the handset myself than upgrading with O2 as if O2 doesn't have a solution to this problem when TuGo goes dark I'm free to jump ship to EE and good riddence.

Message 18 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Although EE only supports Wifi calling on their own branded phones @Anonymous Check the last paragraph here 

EE wifi calling.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 29

JulianC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My issue is, when I renewed my contract and took a new One Plus 5 just over a month ago why didn't the "Guru" ask me  the simple question:

"Do you rely on TuGo at the moment? If so then a different phone may be worth considering if you'll need a similar service in the coming months." 

Message 20 of 29