Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi and 4G calling

Aran
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Dear all, 

I have a Huawei P10 brought from carphone warehouse and I am using the SIM only deal from O2.

I am having trouble activating WiFi calling on my phone, the setting just doesn't seem available.

I have updated my software to EMUI 9 and O2 have told me that they have activated the service on their side (which I have verified in My O2) however the setting has still not appeared.

I am not running any O2 firmware (I don't even know where to download it), my phone does receive 4G signal and sometimes 4G+, but I am confused as to how I can enable WiFi calling.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

DaleEvans
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have exactly the same issue on my s10 plus.
I've had a sim swap completed but this option is still very much an issue.
I find that once I've turned my phone on if I remove the sim tray then put it back in while the phone is turned on the option for wifi calling appears.
I believed this was a fault with my phone but lots of people are having the same issues so surely it must be a problem from o2s and.
Message 2 of 8

JascaDucato
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

WiFi and 4G Calling is not available on O2 devices bought through Carphone Warehouse. There are slight firmware differences between devices sold by CW and O2 and one of these differences is the ability to use WiFi and 4G Calling.

This is not an error, but a concious decision on O2's part.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JascaDucato wrote:

WiFi and 4G Calling is not available on O2 devices bought through Carphone Warehouse. There are slight firmware differences between devices sold by CW and O2 and one of these differences is the ability to use WiFi and 4G Calling.

This is not an error, but a concious decision on O2's part.

This is correct for some devices but not all.

The Samsung S10, for example, will work with the generic firmware as supplied on phones by CPW.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Aran wrote:

Dear all, 

I have a Huawei P10 brought from carphone warehouse and I am using the SIM only deal from O2.

I am having trouble activating WiFi calling on my phone, the setting just doesn't seem available.

I have updated my software to EMUI 9 and O2 have told me that they have activated the service on their side (which I have verified in My O2) however the setting has still not appeared.

I am not running any O2 firmware (I don't even know where to download it), my phone does receive 4G signal and sometimes 4G+, but I am confused as to how I can enable WiFi calling.

Any help would be much appreciated! 

The P10 is not supported by O2 for wifi calling.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Aran
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks Dale for replying, I gave your method a try and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I have a strong feeling that those citing Hauwei devices are not supported are probably right (I have seen the devices supported list and Huawei isn't listed) it just seems too unfair.
Message 6 of 8

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Its the way O2 is with enabling on devices, there is only a small number approved at the moment. We keep hoping the situation will improve but there is little signs of it
Message 7 of 8

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Another O2 WiFi calling post.

Unfortunately if its not on O2's very restrictive list, it won't work.

( although it's not been updated to include my Note10+ 5G which works out the box. 

xWifi and 4G Calling device list

Wifi and 4G Calling is currently available on the following devices:

iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone X, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SESamsung Galaxy S10, S10e, S10 Plus, S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017, A10, A20e, A50, A70, A8, A3 2017, A6, J6, J5 (2017), A5 (2017), Note9, A7, J6+, J4+, A9Sony Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ3, XZ2 Compact, XZ Premium, Xperia XA2, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact, Xperia 10, Xperia L3Oneplus 5, 5T, 6, 6THTC U11Doro 8035Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL

unnamed
Message 8 of 8