Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail on Android

SteveAyre
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is there any update as to when O2 will support Visual Voicemail on Android devices?

There's a thread from 2016 where ChrisK said O2 were working with Google to implement it. I assume this means supporting the OMTP VVM specification. Is there any progress?

Message 1 of 31
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We don’t have any further plans or info regarding VVM on Android, though we continue to explore potential VVM solutions with Google. There are no ETA’s for this though, and it’s unclear at present which devices this would support - but if or when there's any updates i'll keep everyone posted.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm sure it is or was available on some android handsets but best to let @Chris_K update you with the latest info.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 31

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

We don’t have any further plans or info regarding VVM on Android, though we continue to explore potential VVM solutions with Google. There are no ETA’s for this though, and it’s unclear at present which devices this would support - but if or when there's any updates i'll keep everyone posted.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 31

JWalker
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To be quite frank that is a little lame. I've been an O2 customer for 10 years, mostly on iPhone but when Apple stopped innovating and charging more I swtiched to Android with a Pixel2 that runs plain unadulterated Android. Given that VVM is now supported by Android I would expect this to be supported by my carrier. Come on O2 listen to your your customers!

Message 4 of 31

GoSteve
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It is highly likely that given how technically straightforward it is for O2 to implement VVM on Android, and that O2 does implement VVM on iOS, then, the issue is much more likely due to commercial agreements with Apple on exclusivity of VVM than any other reason. This is just a guess, but a confirmation either way by O2 would set expectations clearly.
Message 5 of 31

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just got Visual Voicemail on my Nokia 8 this morning, haven't used it at the moment as I don't have any voicemail yet.

Message 6 of 31

runamonk
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It just activated on my Pixel 3 XL this morning. I had no idea they were even working on this. So far it doesn't appear to work though. 

Message 7 of 31

terminusaquo
  • 24 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@runamonk wrote:

It just activated on my Pixel 3 XL this morning. I had no idea they were even working on this. So far it doesn't appear to work though. 

I wonder if this is a little bonus for their customers to say sorry for the outage yahoo

Should be working, there should be a voicemail tab in the phone app that lists the voicemail you've received.

Message 8 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Doubtful wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 31

Adlez
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got a TXT on Saturday (8/12/18) at 21:29 too on my Pixel 2XL...

"Thanks for activating Visual Voicemail. Note: if you have data turned off, or can't get data coverage, you'll need to dial 901 to check for messages."

I just tried leaving two voicemails and now I don't even get a message on my phone to let me know there's a voicemail waiting.  

Message 10 of 31