cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering slow?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Galaxy Y and use WIFI tethering whilst out in my Motorhome to connect up my netbook. This weekend the internet connection was very slow and intermittant even though I had 3-5 bars on my reception. Why would this be? Also can I do anything to improve the connection speed in cases such as this? I have tried it again now I am home and the internet connection using the phone tethering was quite fast (and data efficient!)

One other thing, I tried to get into ebay to my selling account but it kept forceing me to use the ebay.mobile account, which is no good to me. How can I insist I get the normal laptop ebay account?

Thanks, Brian

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Using wifi tethering, your netbook speed will be totally dependent on the quality of the wifi signal which may have been weak where you were. A good network signal does not necessarily mean good wifi reception.

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
surely the wifi signal comes from my Galaxy which is close by, the internet into the galaxy is dependant on what - the strength of my phone reception? (which was 3-5 )
Message 3 of 15

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
My poor terminology, I am using the Galaxy Y as a wifi hotspot by turning on Tethering on the phone and connecting the netbook to it.
Message 5 of 15

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
The most important thing to look for would be the level of data capability.

Which of the flowing does it show? G, E, 3G, H, H+

Speeds increase from left to right.
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where do I look for this information?
Message 7 of 15

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

aswell, I don't think the Galaxy Y shows whether the signal is 2G or 3G and the speeds you say you got at the weekend suggest that the signal wasn't a very good 3G. If you have 3G enabled in the settings I think it must have been a poor reception area despite the number of network bars. The fact that is ok in your home also points to this.

Apologies for misunderstanding your original post.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, so there is no real way to see if the internet signal is good or not? Would turning off 3G help or hinder, I assume not?
Message 9 of 15

version7point0
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
I'm pretty sure your phone still shows your connection type, it would be located next to your signal indicator on your status bar at the top.

3G needs to be enabled for your fastest potential connection.
Message 10 of 15