cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible signal indoors despite good signal in my area - is it my handset or O2?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been an O2 customer for 2 years now and ever since joining I've had an HTC One mini. 

Where I live, the signal is supposed to be good and I get 4G, but when I make or receive calls in my house or in my office at work (which is also good signal apparently), people on the other end of the line cannot hear me on a regular basis. As a result, I have to stand outside to make or receive calls or use a landline phone.

I have previously been with Orange on various handsets and never had this problem. So I don't know if the problem is with my specific handset or with O2.

My contract has come to an end but I'm reluctant to begin a new contract with a new handset incase the problem continues. I'm tempted to get a new handset with a different provider, but I have been happy with O2.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or can anyone advise me whether the problem is indeed my handset or O2? 

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Check your postcode here.  http://status.o2.co.uk

If you can possibly try the sim in another phone (the o2 store can help) you will know if it's the handset or the network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Check your postcode here.  http://status.o2.co.uk

If you can possibly try the sim in another phone (the o2 store can help) you will know if it's the handset or the network.

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Try a PAYG sim in your phone from another network (or borrow someone else's non o2 sim card) as see if you still have a problem or not.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

In fairness if it is a signal issue it's no good staying with O2 however much you like them @Anonymous...Particularly when you had no problems with another provider...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

this thread may help (need to update for 4g) http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Do-you-have-poor-coverage-signal-Indoors-This-ma...

Remembering that 4g is still data only 2g/3g is used for voice

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 9

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Odd that you say you have been happy with O2 if you've not been getting a signal wink

Anyhoo You would think that in areas you get 4G you would get great 3G and 2G but that's not the case, as far as I know, calls are still not bing made over 4G, the handset is switching back to 3G or 2G to place the call.

Would probably try and sim and or handset to check this out before taking a new contract out.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The phone will always drop back to 3g or 2g for calls but being blunt, why stay with any network that doesn't meet your needs?

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had exactly the same issue at my house certain parts
Installed the tugo app and problem solved

Although I must admit for the first time in ages a nexus device that has good signal
My nexus 4 5 &6 had poor reception yet the 6p sofar seems excellent but I have tugo as a back up plan
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help everyone. 

I've tried switching my network mode and it has seemed to have improved my calls, I'll see if it stands the test of time for a bit though and failing that I'll try swapping sims/handsets to rule out the problem.

Thanks everyone.

Message 9 of 9