cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky MMS charges

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone experienced text messages being automatically morphed into MMS after reaching an undisclosed number of characters. I'm not talking about including emocions just straight text messages. I have incurred over £8 in additional charges before I noticed this happening.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm new so be kind,lol. I have just received my O2 bill and since my last bill was the basic £7.50, I was horrified to see it had become £40.94! WTH

I  had noticed over the last few weeks that some of my messages were going to MMS, but this had never happened before and I've had this phone for three years now (Note 2). Also, I've suddenly started to be charged for peak and off-peak (?) calls - never seen this before either!! Also being charged for pictures but never send them!! 

Can somebody please tell me WTH is going on - why has my contract changed so much. It will goodbye for me if they carry on like is. I'm fuming, grrrr.

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
There is a thread here to explain about MMS charges http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p...
Is it possible that your tariff has changed at all?
Check in your MyO2 to see the detail http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
If it still isn't explained, contact CS http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 16

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

What phone do you have and what tariff are you on?

Peak and off eat are usually very old tariffs called legacy tariffs. Look in My O2 and let us know what it says for present tariff and hopefully we can help.

Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for your prompt replies. I have a Samsung Note 2, approx three years old. My current contract is £9.50pm Simplicity Tariff. I have 100 free minutes, unlimited UK texts and 100MB UK data.I think the big increase was due to exceeding my minutes, this does not explain the peak/off peak charge unless that is standard after you exceed. The Data side of things I still can't understand- I sent 12 MMS messages charged at .333p. How can they suddenly decrease the length of your message before it becomes MMS? Will have to call O2 I think.

Message 14 of 16

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

One standard text message is 160 characters and spaces. Still is and always was. However, some phones convert a text message to mms when you insert a smile.  Using a keyboard smile on the Note 2 and it counts as 90 characters. It will convert at 160 to mms.

Open messages, settings and scroll down to mms settings. Tick the box to warn you when a text is converted and you will get a pop up message and the phone will vibrate.

Message 15 of 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
MMS conversions all covered in the link I gave you above.
I believe the peak / off peak charges are applicable to your tariff when mins are exceeded, unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16