cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung upgrade refused but friend not?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is no doubt in the wrong area due to me just signing onto this forum.  My question is my phone is due an upgrade in May next year which is fair enough, i can however pay 160 and upgrade sooner.  Currently my Samsung S5 is very hit and miss at working and as a single mum who works i do need a phone that works and to pay for it to get fixed would cost so much more than paying off the devce plan.

All of this i can understand and have no issues with.  However my friend who is due an upgrade in March next year recevied a phone call from o2  only two weeks ago who said they would pay off her exsisting contract (think she had an htc now has samsung S6) give her a new contract with a samsung S6 she got to chose and they sent her out a free charging pad.

My question is how did she manage to get that and for them to call her and offer her the deal and i will eith have to pay device plan off or wait till May when she didnt have to do any of that.  Just curious, the way it looks i may have to pay off device plan whether or not i stick with o2 im not sure on yet.  Should all o2 customers receive the same benefits or is it different for some and not others.

Thanks in Advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Firstly it wouldn't have been o2 that called your friend. It would have been a third party selling an o2 contract.
This is not uncommon with the likes of Carphone Warehouse etc but it's not something O2 do directly.
Next up, why not just contact Samsung and get your phone fixed? If it's faulty it is covered by a 2 year warranty so they should fix it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Might not have been O2 at all that called your friend
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As @MI5 says it will be a third party seller contacting your friend. She really needs to look at the terms and conditions of her new contract to make sure it as a good a deal as she hoped it was. It certainly wont be a refresh deal.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

see intially i thought that it was another company also and not o2 themselves but she is adamant that it definetely was o2 and she retained the same number that she previously had.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Keeping your phone number is not a problem at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
What tariff is your friend on.?
Anything other than refresh confirms not o2
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
What tariff is your friend on.?
Anything other than refresh confirms not o2

Me thinks aerial are involved or another third party, I bet it's a business tariff. Just contact Samsung as advised by @MI5

Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Never upgrade from a cold call whether they claim to be o2 or not. Your friend needs to check My O2 to see what contract and tariff they are on. As @MI5 says, 2 year warranty. ...

Message 9 of 9