cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sneaky MMS charges

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone experienced text messages being automatically morphed into MMS after reaching an undisclosed number of characters. I'm not talking about including emocions just straight text messages. I have incurred over £8 in additional charges before I noticed this happening.
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Has anyone experienced text messages being automatically morphed into MMS after reaching an undisclosed number of characters. I'm not talking about including emocions just straight text messages. I have incurred over £8 in additional charges before I noticed this happening.

Never experienced anything sneaky about it. Sending a SMS has to be less than 480 characters. if it exceeds that it will convert to MMS   A help guide is shown here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes this has happened to me when i tried sending a bulk sms to all my contacts with my new number which ended up costing me £5 for all the mms.

It does however say on screen ( or it did for me after testing)  a little pop up when it is switching from a normal txt to a mms which gives u the option to del a few words to bring it back to normal sms. All i can say is be carefull and doubble check before sending it nextime. ( thankfully i have not done this again after the first time slight_smile )

Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Never experienced anything sneaky about it. Sending a SMS has to be less than 480 characters. if it exceeds that it will convert to MMS   A help guide is shown here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Most android phones have a setting in messages to warn you when a sms is converted to mms.

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There is nothing sneaky about it at all it's just a limitation of the old fashioned SMS platform.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
In years gone by some handsets would allow you to send very long text messages and the phone would break it down into components. The longest ones I sent were about 10 texts long.

However several years ago this changed and anything over 480b characters became a "long text message" which was chargeable at mms rates.

Also on many phones if you group several recipients in the one text it will send as mms. On my Note 3 it is 20 recipients to the same text, S4 was 10.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
There is nothing sneaky about it at all it's just a limitation of the old fashioned SMS platform.

I am still not clear as to who is actually responsible for applying the "limitation" - is it O2 who obviously waht to make some more profit, or is the phone manufacturers (what do they get out of it?)  or is it the firmware/software engineers?   Is there any physical, electronic or other reason why there should be a limit (apart from the arguably obvious one that we are talking about SMS - ie SHORT message system.)?

From this perspective it may perhaps seem a  "sneaky" business to some.

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gone are the days when long messages were converted to two messages. I used to get a little message saying that the text would be sent as two text messages. I have now asked O2 to deactivate MMS. I don't need it and I think they have a cheek the way text messaging is handled. I am now sorry that I took out a contrat with O2

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I only sent to 2 the first time and 4 the second and they charged me. Cheek!
Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. What handset are you using? Most handsets allow you to send texts up to 480 characters long and they be sent as text not mms.

Also handsets provide a feature where you can be warned when your message converts so you can change it.

This is not an o2 issue but it is a handset issue in the first instance.

Welcome to the Community by the way
Message 10 of 16