Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

Spitfire400
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I backed everything up using smart switch on desktop app on pc. Then clean flashed the previously mentioned BTU firmware. Then restored from backup after setting up device. So far so good. Will setup apps & gear s3 tomorrow.
Message 161 of 271

djlukew
Level 3: Thinker
  • 53 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Released on EE now...
Message 162 of 271

Valdo
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 officially the LAST network to release it. That's unreal. Well done O2.

Message 163 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Bracing myself for an announcement from @Chris_K telling us O2 have scrapped the S8 update as they are concentrating on the upcoming S10....
Message 164 of 271

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@CraigR wrote:
Bracing myself for an announcement from @Chris_K telling us O2 have scrapped the S8 update as they are concentrating on the upcoming S10....

That won't happen. Our team are comitted to bringing these updates to our customers - but as mentioned before, we won't do so until we're happy it'll provide a positive experience.

I know you're all frustrated we've not released it yet, but as above, there is good reason for this. We continue working with Samsung and once/when I have more to share, I will. Thanks everyone for your patience while we work through these issues and provide you with an update we're happy with, and that will work as you expect it to.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 165 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
@Chris_K It is obvious by the things you've said in this thread that the update isn't due soon (normal meaning of soon, not the corporate meaning), at least give us a rough ETA to the nearest week, month or year so we can stop checking daily.
Message 166 of 271

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@CraigR wrote:
@Chris_K It is obvious by the things you've said in this thread that the update isn't due soon (normal meaning of soon, not the corporate meaning), at least give us a rough ETA to the nearest week, month or year so we can stop checking daily.

I don't have an ETA but would recommend checking back next week - hopefully there'll be a clearer picture.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 167 of 271

bob0411
Level 3: Thinker
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Chris_K  "there is good reason for this" - that's very vague, care to elaborate what you mean?  And what "issues" are being worked through? Surely the team concerned must have an idea of ETA?  It's really not a big ask, or shouldn't be!

Message 168 of 271

daern
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I had to guess, it would be the VoIP and VoLTE functionality which appears to be O2-specific that is slowing things down. Any problems with this will almost certainly only be picked up by their testing and the fix turnaround is also likely to be slow.

Seems a real shame that, from O2's perspective at least, the beta test didn't really happen and that testing only appears to be happening now on the final release.

Ironically, I upgraded from a Nexus 6P to the S8+ in October. The 6P already had 8.0 at the point that I upgraded and now has 8.1, despite it being a two year old phone. Oh well, I knew what I was letting myself in for when I switched to Samsung...

Message 169 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@daernwrote:

Seems a real shame that, from O2's perspective at least, the beta test didn't really happen and that testing only appears to be happening now on the final release.

More of a shame from the customer's perspective....

It has been a total shambles and @Chris_K 's "I don't have an ETA but would recommend checking back next week - hopefully there'll be a clearer picture" comment it looks like the update isn't happening for at least a month if next week is only be going to be status update.

One good thing to come out of his vagueness and dismissive attitude is it has made my mind up to leave O2 when my contract ends. A shame as I've been with them since BTCellnet but they obviously couldn't give a damn about us.

Message 170 of 271