Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

bob0411
Level 3: Thinker
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In the absence of any official confirmation I'm guessing it will be sometime in April.  It's likely EE will release sometime between now and then which means O2 will probably get the wooden spoon.  As I said pure guess work though!  In my experience Samsung has great kit but lousy customer service, O2 are chronically slow in releasing software updates. So personally I'll be switching back to HTC and probably moving to EE come contract renewal time.

Message 101 of 271

Pittnuma
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm under the impression EE have already released.
Message 102 of 271

bob0411
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Vodaphone and 3 definitely have, not seen any sign of EE updates yet.  Can anyone confirm?

Message 103 of 271

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
EE have not released 8.0 yet.
Message 104 of 271

bob0411
  • 34 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just received this e-mail from O2:

It’s finally here. Samsung Galaxy S9.

Oh the irony!

So after buying the flagship Samsung phone (S8+) last August It's now effectively obsolete after only 7 months.

My device plan has an outstanding balance of £476 and O2 are 'kindly' offering me the princely sum of £285 if I trade it in for the S9.

Hmm, so tempting, not!

Message 105 of 271

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Trust me. Android 8 doesn't make 7 obsolete in ANY way.
Message 107 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

UK unlocked and even the famously slow US Verizon (along with networks across the world whp've had it for weeks) are now getting the update. Saw an O2 tweet to someone earlier saying 'soon' so I think we can expect it around the time the S10 or Android P is released.

The fact that @Chris_K can't even give us a loose ETA when two other major UK networks have pushed out the update shows they really don't care about this and are concentrating on S9 and iTat X sales (I too got an email from O2.)

Been with O2 since BTCellnet but I think this is the last straw and even though their coverage is slightly better where I live I will go with an unlocked phone and the BT network when my contract is up.

Message 108 of 271

daern
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@CraigRwrote:

Been with O2 since BTCellnet but I think this is the last straw and even though their coverage is slightly better where I live I will go with an unlocked phone and the BT network when my contract is up.

Worth bearing in mind that, for Samsung at least, unlocked phones often seem to get the updates last of all. I assume that they wait for all of the individual networks to complete their own testing first, before releasing to a device that could be used on any of them.

In short, don't assume an unlocked device would be better.

Message 109 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'll be going back to official Google phones, had them up to the last Nexus 6P but the S8 design caught my eye with its design and the Pixel was pretty ugly. I'll resist the 'shiny' tech next time and go with the better overall package.

02 have been very disappointingly slow with the update and they can't even be bothered to keep customers informed and for that reason alone I'll probably switch to another network after 20 years.

Message 110 of 271