cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 permanent network lock

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Newbie seeking some advice. Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 but had to return the original one due to a fault. When I sought an unlock code for the new device I was sent the unlock code for the original device by customer service. I entered it thrice without realising the error which led to the phone becoming permanently locked to O2. I have since received the right unlock code but keep getting 'nerwork unlock unsuccessful' error on using it. Have been it touch with Customer Services who have not been very helpful (quite rude and aggressive in fact) and have told me there is little they can do. I travel frequently and have to unlock the phone for use abroad. Although I have lodged a complaint with O2, I doubt it's going to get me anywhere so I was wondering if experienced members are aware of any fixes for the problem? Is there any point in approaching Samsung directly or perhaps an unlocking service on Ebay etc?

Thanks in advance

Kris
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I did once on the note pro, it just annoyed me so I reset the firmware and left it off
Message 51 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis

From what I gather, if Samsung revoked warranty citing a tripped Knox counter and the customer chose to take them to court, it would be up to the company to establish that triggering the Knox Counter caused material damage to the device that directly contributed to the fault requiring repair-in my view, it would be hard for Samsung to argue that a faulty power button or motherboard or any other hardware fault for that matter (unless they can conclusively prove that the CPU was overclocked etc) could be attributed to a tripped Knox counter. I agree with the view expressed in the article that the legal test of whether rooting (or tripping the counter by doing so) alters the viability or function of the device would be if rooting or any other actions causing the trip subsequently prevented the device from being returned to its previous state. Since a temporary root does not prevent the device from being restored to its original state (apart from resetting the counter itself) it would be difficult to argue that a tripped Knox counter in itself constitutes sufficient evidence of misuse that would justify voiding the statutory 2 year warranty against manufacturing defects. 

Hopefully I wouldn`t have to deal with such a situation but if I ever did, I would start off by sending the company copies of the 1999/44/EC directive and the article from the link and hope that Samsung would see sense in honouring the warranty rather than risking costly court action...

Message 52 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff

The law still applies-if anything it has become more established through case law from what I understand (although I am yet to find specific examples where this directive has been applied-which is never easy without access to legal search engines like Lexis Nexis)

Message 53 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

I've read somewhere that the warranty being referred to in this instance relates to an 'additional warranty' covering software and services related to Knox, which one loses access to when the counter is tripped, and not the statutory warranty itself (which by the very nature of being 'statutory' cannot be voided?)

Message 54 of 56

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

and hope that Samsung would see sense in honouring the warranty rather than risking costly court action...

I've no idea how this would pan out but I really do know that Samsung are not at all worried about costly court action......

Have you checked how many times they have been in court with Apple wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 55 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

True that..but it would certainly be worth a shot..

Message 56 of 56