cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 permanent network lock

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Newbie seeking some advice. Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 but had to return the original one due to a fault. When I sought an unlock code for the new device I was sent the unlock code for the original device by customer service. I entered it thrice without realising the error which led to the phone becoming permanently locked to O2. I have since received the right unlock code but keep getting 'nerwork unlock unsuccessful' error on using it. Have been it touch with Customer Services who have not been very helpful (quite rude and aggressive in fact) and have told me there is little they can do. I travel frequently and have to unlock the phone for use abroad. Although I have lodged a complaint with O2, I doubt it's going to get me anywhere so I was wondering if experienced members are aware of any fixes for the problem? Is there any point in approaching Samsung directly or perhaps an unlocking service on Ebay etc?

Thanks in advance

Kris
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I am so glad this is sorted. I don't understand half of it... but it has made fascinating reading so thanks for that. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5@Cleoriff@viridis

Tripping the Knox Counter/rooting in itself shouldn't void the warranty according to this

http://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

Message 42 of 56

Cleoriff
  • 122912 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@MI5@Cleoriff@viridis

Tripping the Knox Counter/rooting in itself shouldn't void the warranty according to this

http://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/flashingdevices.en.html

Is that article still valid though @Anonymous It was published in 2012? I know that it does cause problems in the UK when a Samsung phone goes for repair? I am sure @MI5 will confirm this...

Edited to add I am not knowledgeable enough in such matters to mount a 'discussion' on this....but I am sure others are...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 56

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
All I will say is, why have an indication that the knox fuse has been tripped if it wasn't relevant to something?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 44 of 56

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Key word there... fuse.
By performing this software alteration you have damaged a hardware component.
Legally they are covered to decline, morally.... we all agree on the morally.
Message 45 of 56

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

So am I right that even if you don't activate Knox on the handset, it will still trip?

Message 46 of 56

MI5
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yep, any rooting or downgrading of firmware will trip it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 47 of 56

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yes, knox software is a different thing to the knox counter.
Knox security software is encrypted apps and filed with higher security features.
Knox counter is a fuse that will blow of you alter the rom or root of the device
Message 48 of 56

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Right, so do I activate Knox or not? Never felt the need but is there anything to be gained or lost in using it?

Message 49 of 56

MI5
  • 144327 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No need for a personal phone.
It's geared towards business users.

Currently using:
Message 50 of 56