cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 permanent network lock

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Newbie seeking some advice. Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 but had to return the original one due to a fault. When I sought an unlock code for the new device I was sent the unlock code for the original device by customer service. I entered it thrice without realising the error which led to the phone becoming permanently locked to O2. I have since received the right unlock code but keep getting 'nerwork unlock unsuccessful' error on using it. Have been it touch with Customer Services who have not been very helpful (quite rude and aggressive in fact) and have told me there is little they can do. I travel frequently and have to unlock the phone for use abroad. Although I have lodged a complaint with O2, I doubt it's going to get me anywhere so I was wondering if experienced members are aware of any fixes for the problem? Is there any point in approaching Samsung directly or perhaps an unlocking service on Ebay etc?

Thanks in advance

Kris
Message 1 of 56
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5@viridis

Just a quick update on my query from yesterday. Contacted Samasung this morning but was advised that they did not get involved in phone unlocking since this was purely a matter between the network provider and customer. Since I had little appetite for another argument with O2 customer support after my experience yesterday, I scoured the internet for a fix and eventually found a chap on XDA offering USB unlocking using custom software through remote access. Despite reservations about installing dubious software and allowing random strangers access to my computer, I coughed up the $16 (£ 11.50 through Paypal) that was demanded and, 15 mins later, my phone was finally freed from the clutches of O2!. The phone had to be rooted in the process though but the guy reflashed original firmware and resorted root at my request so I should hopefully continue receiving OTA updates. Knox counter is however showing root (no way of resetting it at the moment apparently) but Samsung should honour the statutory warranty should I ever need it (besides I have mobile insurance so it's no biggie)

The chap I dealt with was very friendly and the process itself surprisingly easy, safe and, most importantly, cheap. I would have posted his details here if it didn`t break forum rules but feel free to PM me if anyone needs them..

View solution in original post

Message 35 of 56
55 REPLIES 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact Samsung

Message 2 of 56

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
How did you apply for the unlock code originally?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 56

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
My guess is through my o2 whilst the old imei was showing as the active device
Message 4 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes and received one the following day-however the email disappeared from my inbox due to a Gmail glitch before I could use it.When I subsequently contacted customer services, I was sent the unlock code for the device I had originally returned. I did receive the correct unlock code later on but it wouldn't work as I had entered the wrong one three times. Interestingly the email containing the wrong unlock code did not contain the warning about the phone getting locked after 3 incorrect entries and although O2 accept that I was sent the wrong code,they maintain that I should have been aware of the 3 entry rule from the email that I received in relation to the faulty device several weeks ago. I have pointed out to them that I was acting on advice contained in the latest email from them but o2 are not having any of it.
Message 5 of 56

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
How long have you had the phone?
Message 6 of 56

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Did the process, at any time, quote you, reference or ask you to check the IMEI number of your phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm outside the 14 day cooling off period if that's what you mean😐
Message 8 of 56

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

It does @MI5
The new method will show you device name and imei and asks you to confirm before clicking submit.
However, I think the op lost the email with the correct code, and then rang cs and they have him the incorrect code based on old imei, over the phone?

Message 9 of 56

Anonymous
Not applicable
No.. at no stage of the process do you receive warnings about number of entries left, advice to check IMEI etc
Message 10 of 56