cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3 and Android 4.3 Problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I'm having some trouble with the latest update to my S3 and was wondering if I was in a minority or whether anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

This update seems to have knocked my phone back to the stone age, my phone now burns though battery power at a fair rate of knots an worse, will not connect to my home WiFi, reporting that the "connection is unstable" or the "signal strength is poor" when I have a tablet lying next to it telling me that the signal strength is "Very Strong".

Surely I cant be the only one having this trouble? Does anyone know if there are any updates to this update due out soon?

Thanks in adavance,

David.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Don't worry too much about email as long as you know your user name and password it's very simple to reinstall. If you use gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc all your emails will be on the server and pulled back in automatically.
If that's all the back up is failing on just un tick the email option and move on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the community.

It has been suggested that if a phone is having issues after a firmware update then a hard reset can rectify such issues.

Make a back up before carrying this out as saved data is sometimes deleted by the process.

http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-hard-reset.html

Also this thread may be of some help.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/46346...

If this does not work then possibly contact the Uk Support Dept of the manufacturer for assistance.

http://m.samsung.com/uk/support/main/supportMain.do

Let us know how you get on please.

Message 2 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Firstly, are you using a sim free unbranded phone or is yours an O2 branded one?
You need to do a hard reset, my guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/How-To-Reset-your-Samsung-after-a-Firm...
The next advice is dependent on your answer to the above question.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, thank you for your help. I am on an O2 pay monthly contract with my phone which I've had for about a year and a half now.

Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

Has any of the info helped yet ?
Message 5 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just reading through the instructions in the links now, and recharging the phone before I start the process as the battery completely depleted overnight.

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there - my phone was playing up big time too after the last update.

The fix for me was twofold - firstly switch off the "auto network switch" - it's accessible via the "advanced" option from the contextual menu in the wifi settings ("hidden button" to the left of the main button at the bottom of the phone). This will stop the phone from switching networks when the signal is poor - which it does for example when you need to log in to free wifi - super annoying!

Step two is to switch off the smart stay settings that detects a face looking at the screen - and tries to keep it live/orientate portrait/landscape depending on how you're looking at your phone.

Hope this works for you.

On another note - I see that there is another update available today - I don't think I'm going to do it - given the trouble I had last time - it's probably just fixes for the pile of cr@p update they put up last time ... the cynic in me makes me thing it's because they want me to update my phone!!

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DForde,

I am having the same problem with my WiFi at the moment, and have tried resetting all of the connections and performing a reset of network settings etc.

From some internet investigation, it seems it is an issue with the firmware update, and the article here seems to help a little more. 

Hope that helps.

W

Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, quite a few leads to chase down there, your helpful response is very much appreciated.

Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good Morning @Anonymous

You're very welcome.

Hopefully something from the support given will assist you.

Keep in touch with your progress please.

Take care.

slight_smile
Message 10 of 18