cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S3 Suddenly Died

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my Galaxy S3 for just over a year now and it's been quite good, however yesterday after working perfectly fine for most of the day it just decided to die. This is despite the phone being on at least 70% battery.

I have no idea whatls caused this. The phone will not turn back on no matter what buttons I press, and after leaving it on charge overnight there has been no progress. The charging light does not come on either, both through charging it from the mains and through my computer.

I'm going to assume I will need to send it to O2/Samsung to be looked at, but I was wondering if this is a fault anyone else as had and what they did to overcome it.

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sudden death like this this is usually a catastrophic failure of the motherboard.
Assuming you've tried all the normal means to get it going (including removing/replacing battery), your only option is to send it in for repair.
Our usual advice is to go to Samsung, rather than O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Sudden death like this this is usually a catastrophic failure of the motherboard.
Assuming you've tried all the normal means to get it going (including removing/replacing battery), your only option is to send it in for repair.
Our usual advice is to go to Samsung, rather than O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice to go the Samsung. I'm currently in contact with them and they're going to have their engineers asses the fault, although I imagine they'll come back to me with the same conclusion as you have (although probably with a price added on!)

Hopefully this can be sorted out ASAP.

Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Warranty is 2 years so unless they try and find some excuse to say it's been damaged in some way, you should be OK.
Samsung are usually pretty good with customer service, ie, we don't hear too many complaints wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm that could be a problem then. When I first bought the phone from the O2 store after a week or so the phone was dropped and I had to have the screen repaired. This was very minor damage though and only left the phone with a small scuff on the corner.

I still have the full repair report from O2 regarding that, so I guess if they pull up on that damage I could send Samsung that report?

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I would guess that would be already logged against the IMEI number on the warranty database (all repairs are logged regardless of issue) so, yes, they may refer to that if they think it has an impact on the current issue.
There's only one way to find out though.......

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope it doesn't cause too much trouble, if it does then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I suppose it would make sense that the repair would be logged but I'll let them know anyway if they mention it. It was a year ago and asides from a few

Other than that I'm just waiting for Samsung to get back to me, thanks for all your help so far!

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good luck and let us know how you get on.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update - Samsung are sending somebody to pick the phone up early next week. I'll probably know the damage by the end of next week xD.

Message 9 of 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions