cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection is unstable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys

Have had a look round and can't seem to see an answer for this.

I am frequently getting warnings on my S4 handsets telling me my Wi Fi connection is unstable. This has only been happening since 4.3 update and does not happen on my home wifi.

It almost always happens when on bt wifi, the cloud etc.

In my settings automatic switching of networks is not ticked.

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Clear cache from recovery menu and make sure "Auto Network Selection" stays unticked. Wifi Optimisation off too.
It only happens on dual band routers from what I can see, but every phone I have running 4.3 does it.
It's fixed in 4.4 so maybe there will be a patch or maybe not as 4.4 isn't far off general release.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Clear cache from recovery menu and make sure "Auto Network Selection" stays unticked. Wifi Optimisation off too.
It only happens on dual band routers from what I can see, but every phone I have running 4.3 does it.
It's fixed in 4.4 so maybe there will be a patch or maybe not as 4.4 isn't far off general release.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Recovery Menu? ??
Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
I have the problem on both my S3 and Galaxy Note since the 4.3 update. Clearing cache has no effect nor unticking auto network box. Samsung have really messed up twice now with this update.
Message 4 of 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Recovery Menu? ??

http://www.android.gs/how-to-enter-samsung-galaxy-s4-recovery-mode/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 17

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Let us know how you get on piperdog123,

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 17

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have this problem on my Note 3, and none of the fixes have actually worked. I don't think it's related to dual band routers, as the problem seems more prevalent at my parents house and they only have a single band router, whereas my Note spends most of the time on 5ghz at home where it's infrequent but still happens.

Although it's annoying, the best thing is to just ignore the notification. As far as I can tell, the phone stays happily connected and works fine despite the notification.
Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

It does seem to be a strange issue that is effecting users differently....
Many on other forums have reported their own fixes which don't work for others and vice versa....
Kit Kat seems to be the only fix for everyone....

As it's not just effecting Samsung phones I think it is a Google issue which is where most of the fault reports are been logged too.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks complicated to me and potentially risky so I think I will just put up with it until we see kitkat
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all.

Sorry to kind of hijack this post but need some help and can't find how to start a new post. (Newbee alert lol:smileysad:)

Problem 1 - My husband and I both have recently upgraded our phones to the Note 3.  Since then we are constantly getting a msg appear along the top of the screen saying the Network is unstable.  It doesn't matter if we're at home or out using someones free wifi still get the same msg.  My router at home is perfectly fine and when we had our previously phone (S4 and S3) never had a problem.  Not majorly tech minded, so any suggestions in simple terms would be fab

Problem 2 - I can connect to my home wifi not a problem but when I leave the house I can't get the internet.  I've had numerous online chats with the gruru's (??spelling) and all they suggest is resending me some settings which works for a couple of days and that's it.  I really can not be bothered to keep online chatting with them for them to tell me to do the same thing over and over agian.  i.e.  When I had my previous phone (S4mini) and I was at work I could get internet and check things like twitter andfacebook in my lunch without a problem.  Now all i get is Network unavailable or No Network connection.  

Really wish I hadn't had upgraded my phone now, it's been nothing but problems.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any help/advise you can give

Message 10 of 17