cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S4 callers can't hear me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I really hope someone can provide some advice.

My S4 started playing up yesterday whereby with any incoming or outgoing calls, I can hear the other person but they cannot hear me.

I have tested my phone in different locations for signal issues, turned on and off and I have also done a reset but both have not solved the problem.. My phone works in every other respect.

Also the phone is not damaged in any way. One minute it was fine then suddenly it wasn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Right, just checked and there are 2 mics. The normal voice one at the bottom of the phone has a rubber shield around it to prevent water ingress. It looks like this could move and block the mic so it seems likely this has happened here.
You can get at it by unscrewing the back cover but this will invalidate your warranty so maybe best to send it in somewhere for repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Check if anything is blocking the mic hole, esp fluff from your pocket. Give it a good blow out.
Does it work if you put it on speaker phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. It does work on speaker phone. Just did a quick test with my wife. I tried to clean the mic hole by blowing and using the vacuum attachment too but it hasn't made a difference normal phone call volume.

She described the volume as consistently silent but with an intermittent faint echo of my voice.
Message 3 of 22

MI5
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Is noise cancellation turned on (you need to check this when in a call) ?
Message 4 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like the microphone has failed. Needs to go back to repairs. We recommend going directly to the manufacturer and using their repairs service rather than o2.
Message 5 of 22

MI5
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
I thought it used the same mic for normal and speakerphone, Nick ?
Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
M15 do you mean noise reduction? Yes it is.

Piperdog123. So you mean send back to Samsung? Any reason why I should avoid O2?

Thanks again.
Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
Yes, noise cancellation/reduction are the same thing, just different words. Try it off.
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MI5

I am not sure but the OP says it works ok on speaker but not on normal setting. I am not aware of any setting on the s4 for changing the volume.
Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 149491 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi MI5

I am not sure but the OP says it works ok on speaker but not on normal setting. I am not aware of any setting on the s4 for changing the volume.

Not aware of any setting either, but I do only think one mic, so if working on speaker phone then can't be a mic fault. Either noise reduction issue or maybe a finger over the hole probkem when holding the phone?

Message 10 of 22