cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone unlock question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I'm a pay monthly customer with O2 and have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I recent applied via the online form for an unlock code which I got a few days later by email. This morning I put a giffgaff sim into my phone and expected the prompt to put in an eight digit code as described in the email from O2 but the prompt never came. The giffgaff sim just worked though I had to enter a couple of apn settings. My question is if my phone was unlocked anyway or as giffgaff uses O2's network has my phone not needed to be unlocked? I have no other sim card to try though I'll get one from another network in the next week. 

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi a Giff gaff sim will work even if the phone is locked to O2 when you use a different network sim you will be prompted for the code

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi a Giff gaff sim will work even if the phone is locked to O2 when you use a different network sim you will be prompted for the code
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wondered if that may be the case. I'll get myself another sim so I can unlock my phone. Thanks Damien.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your welcome slight_smile
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Giff gaff is also owned by Telefonica, like O2 and uses the O2 network. That's most likely why you can use the sim in an O2 locked phone.  My daughter recently saved up for an iphone on ebay.  It was locked to O2  and wouldn't take any other microsim cards we tried out,  and we couldn't unlock it.  Luckily it didn't matter as I'd intended she used Giffgaff anyway. 

Message 5 of 5