Did you mean: 

OPPO reno 10zoom 5G

mkermali99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Guys

I bought an oppo reno 5g phone 2nd hand a few months back. I love the phone and i currently use it with vodafone and it is working perfectly. 

I was very frustrated to hear that i am not able to get 5g vodafone signal because apparently oppo or EE have done something to make the 5g signal only with them. 

EE is too expensive for me to use and i have just spotted that o2 are now selling this phone. Does that mean i can get an o2 sim and 5G signal will work?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

mkermali99
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok so i forgot to mention that i bought the phone on ebay but it was shipped from Switzerland..

So i emailed oppo about this

This was thier response

"In regards to your inquiry about the 5g network, we would like to inform you that if the device was bought from SWISSCOM then it will only access the 5g network of SWISSCOM.

kindly provide us with the proof of purchase to be able to assist you further."

So i guess it was my fault for puchasing a phone from outside the UK. The listing said it was unlocked so i assumed that it meant 5g would work. Guess i will never make that mistake again. 

So annoyed.

Message 21 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That would explain it then. The 5g band used in Switzerland is different to the UK so it would never work over here.
If you had told us that at the start it would have saved a lot of time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 36

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 23 of 36

mkermali99
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Although doing some research it looks like the frequency used is the same ones used in the UK. N78 band

https://halberdbastion.com/intelligence/mobile-networks/swisscom-mobile

So I would have thought if the bands match I should get 5g signal
Message 24 of 36

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

mkermali99
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Can you even do that?
That's way above my league. Lol
Message 26 of 36

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@MI5 is the one to advise on that. I actually meant firmware which should be possible. Whether that would then give you 5G, I really dunno. 

Message 27 of 36

mkermali99
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hmm fair enough. The problem is there is no way of knowing if a 5g handset is compatible with the UK. I'm talking about many 5g phones that are not sold by networks in the UK.
I'm just lucky my 2g 3g and 4g works perfectly in the UK. How do I even know if I am missing any of those bands?
Message 28 of 36

mkermali99
  • 18 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So I spoke to the company that the device was bought from

[28/10, 11:06] Swisscom: I checked and our Oppo Reno supports the 5G also abroad. In this case you should asks the local operator why you cannot have it on your smartphone.
[28/10, 11:06] Muhammad Kermali: Can you please tell me what bands on 5g are currently on my device?
[28/10, 11:07] Muhammad Kermali: I have the receipt if you require it
[28/10, 11:08] Swisscom: It doesn't depend on the bands. If the antenna of your local operator supports the 5G, Oppo Reno works in any case 👍

So what does this mean exactly?
Message 29 of 36

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It means that the network has to allow the phone to register on their 5g band, so it's the network that needs to allow it access.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 36