cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No SMS/MMS after 5.1.1 update Nexus 9 Lte

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I've spent way too much time trying to figure this out.  I have N9 Lte - all working fine until 5.1.1 update effectively killed SMS and MMS completely - nothing works, not reciving or sending.  I've tried sideloading G Messenger, GoSMS and a few others, but nothing works.

I had MMS re-provisioned - nothing

I've even got a new tablet after RMAing for dodgy screen - same problem.

If I downgrade to 5.0.1 - it works....in 5.0.2 it's fine also, but in 5.1.1 - nothing.  It's driving me crazy as I paid more for the Lte, and I'm paying for a package which includes SMS that I can't ever use.

Can anyone tell me why messaging broke in 5.1.1?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It's not that then either...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a temporary 'fix'!

I flashed vendor.img from Android 5.0.2 factory image, which restored my baseband to an earlier version.  If you don't know what I'm talking about then you probably shouldn't attempt this, but it does work!

Now, I'm no expert, but I'm thinking something has been updated in the code for the radios in Android 5.1, something which O2 have not been prepared for.  I've seen similar issues on various networks, and it's to do with how the device is (or isn't) provisioned on the network.  The Nexus 9 LTE can no longer communicate with the network properly.

So please, can someone find out what this is, fix it, and refund me for the loss of service i've had.  I'm tempted to downgrade my package as I don't have normal service....

Message 12 of 51

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Good find and I'm glad you have found a solution of sorts. As for loss of service and compensation you have more chance of walking on water....

Message 13 of 51

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
It really will / should have been properly tested.
@Chris_K is the man to feed it back to investigate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable
So .....as expected that wasn't much of a fix - lots of apps crashing including play services - had to re-flash vendor.img from LMY48M
Message 15 of 51

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's supposed to be thoroughly tested 'as to give the customer a better experience'.....

Message 16 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

It used to work.....stopped when I updated to android 5.1....

Message 17 of 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too haven't had MMS on my device for months. It's now updated again to Android 5.1.1, which I hoped would fix the problem, but I still can't send or recieve pics. It's really frustrating and no amount of 'help' from the gurus with new data to input has helped.

I'm on a Sony Xperia. Can anyone help?

Message 18 of 51

Cleoriff
  • 122821 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

We have a couple of Sony experts on here @viridis and @MI5 I am hoping they will be able to advise you..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 51

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
If your settings are correct http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#o2%20Android%20APN%20MMS%20mobile%20internet%20s... and you have mobile data turned on (regardless of being connected to WiFi) then MMS should send/receive OK.
Sometimes you need to send one to yourself to initialise the service but if it still doesn't work you need to get CS to reprovision MMS on your account.
This means they have to remove it, wait 24 hours and then reapply it.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 51