cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 9 bricked by security update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have a Nexus 9. Like a fool I was seduced by the pure Android experience and ordered this laggy crasshy monster.

I downloaded and attempted to install the latest security update over the weekend. The wallpaper had gone, and would not allow me to select a new or reinstate my wallpaper. I was not allowed to access any of my downloaded files and Bluetooth was unavailable.

I bit the bullet and instgated my first factory reset. The device went into bootloop. I tried to empty the cache, even wipe the cache partition, but was unable to do so as the device is locked.

No amount of pressing volume and power key combinations is going to change it's sorry state.

The Android boot wheels are dancing happily, taunting me.

The device itself is just over a year old. However, I feel that as Goog;e and carriers are meant to work together over security updates - they did in the old days at least - that O2 should take some responsibility for this.

Ideas, anyone?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

OP said in their post that they had tried a factory reset.

No they didn't exactly state that. They mentioned clearing cache which isn't the same thing.

The bit about instigating a factory reset isn't clear to me.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Bambino wrote:

OP said in their post that they had tried a factory reset.

No they didn't exactly state that. They mentioned clearing cache which isn't the same thing.

The bit about instigating a factory reset isn't clear to me.

Semantics. I took it to mean they had tried but it didn't work.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 24

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It wasn't clear which was the reason I asked.
It may save them being without their phone for a few days if it's just a case of resetting properly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all

Sorry for any confusion. 

I have factory reset the device. This locked the device into a bootloop. Although I can put the device into Recovery Mode, the device does not access the screen whereby I can emprty or erase the cache. Instead it goes back to the first boot interrupt screen, offering the option of putting the machine into Recovery mode.

I am pressing Volume Up and Power at the same time, and am holding them.  

I have contacted HTC by email as there is currently no one online. I am deaf, and phone calls are a nightmare! The Nexus 9 Support Link had no relevant information. 

I have had the machine for thirteen months, which makes it out of warranty. However, I feel that  O2 and/or Google bears some responsibility in sending me what I have every right to believe would be a safe software update.

The software update is what bricked my tablet.

Message 14 of 24

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Warranty is 24 months.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 24

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am pressing Volume Up and Power at the same time, and am holding them.

At this point you HOLD power and press Vol Up ONCE only.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 24

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Can you give us an update on your issue? Have you managed to get your handset working?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Martin. O2 took the device in for repair. I have had a text advising me that the machine was indeed beyond repair. I'm getting a replacement soon. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the speed of an unupgraded Nex 7 I bought second hand last week.
Message 18 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Martin. O2 took the device in for repair. I have had a text advising me that the machine was indeed beyond repair. I'm getting a replacement soon. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the speed of an unupgraded Nex 7 I bought second hand last week.

Hi @Anonymous out of interest are you paying for the replacement...or are O2 providing you with one free of charge?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 24

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I hope the latter.
Message 20 of 24